What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Vuthakral

USB 3.0 Ports not working after Windows 10 (separate) installation

So I made a new partition on my 2nd hard-drive to install Windows 10 so I can boot betweeen it and Windows 7 as I need, after a bit of a rocky transition and setup, the only problem left is that none of my USB 3.0 ports work on Windows 7 any more, oddly enough they all work fine on Windows 10 though, that's really all I have the information on the problem at the moment, any help is appreciated.

I would list "Things I have tried", but in case something I did try, I may have messed up and I don't want to leave it out of my options.

Tiddy-bits:

35 minutes ago, Pra3tor1an said:

What mainboard are you using?

You may have to manually find the Windows 7 drivers for your board's USB 3 chipset.

Takka likes this

That means that your board either has multiple revisions or multiple chipsets for USB 3. I'd like to think that Windows would install the Intel one automagically, so try the first one. If it doesn't work grab the second one.

Actually multiple chipsets is EXACTLY what the specs list under "USB 3.0".

Edited by Luke

The easiest thing to do is go into Device Manager > Properties > Details

In the dropdown go to Hardware Ids

ZEx4y.png

From there, copy the 4th line into Google and look for it. You may sift through a lot of bullshit driver programs claiming to be able to find the driver, but I always look for specific keywords, for example, I type in my Hardware ID and somehow find out it's Intel, so I include that with my next search of the hardware ID and keep doing the process of elimination until I can find it. It's a lot harder with devices that aren't very popular though.

If you also have a Linux Live CD, you can open up a command line and type 

lspci -nn | grep USB

ncgLR.png

It will tell you the name of the Vendor and the name of the device and you can find the device driver that way.

WaeV, Skeezix the Cat and DiSiAC like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365