What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Weps

Amateur Radio Thread

14 posts in this topic

I know a few of us here are into Amateur Radio/DXing/Telco/FTA so I figured I'd post a thread where we can discuss our shack/setup, finds, share with others, talk shop, and maybe even help those who are interested in the hobby.

I've included some links for folks that might be interested, but want to get a feel without dropping serious cash.

WebSDR; An excellent compilation of URL to webSDR interfaces covering a wide variety of spectrum and frequencies. I highly recommend the University of Twente HF SDR, all kinds of goodies to listen for like UVB-76, HFGCS, WWVH/WWV, Firedrake Jammers, various VOLMET, BBC News, plus a slew of other great stuff.

Radio Reference; Anything and everything you could want to know concerning Amateur Radio/SATCOM/ADS-B

QSL; Basically a big database of ham emails, ham webpages, and have mail lists. 

ARRL; American Radio Relay League, the authority on amateur radio and national radio association of the US

N2YO; In-real-time satellite tracking (I like to track NRO and DOD sats)

NRO Sats; Wiki list of National Reconnaissance Office satellites 

USA Sats; Wiki list of USA sats launched by the US Air Force 

FTA List; Master list of all Ku-band channels

NAVTEX; Info on the NAVTEX system

Satellite Guys; Anything and everything to do with FTA, C-band, Ku-band, ect...

A2AShare MILAIRCOM; List of in-real-time encrypted Military Aircraft Communications

dump1090; Is a library for RTLSDR (Raspberry Pi, but I'm sure you can find a port) to pick up and sort through anything on the 1090Mhz frequency for ADS-B/Mode-S. By default it will come with a web interface that will draw plots from the ADS-B data to a map with the Google Maps API. It's a lot better if you have a GPS receiver and a good receiving antenna for more accurate time/location and more tracks.

Any other resources you guys find, post em' and I'll add em' to the list.

Edited by Weps
Solaris and WaeV like this

Tiddy-bits:

dump1090 is a library for RTLSDR (Raspberry Pi, but I'm sure you can find a port) to pick up and sort through anything on the 1090Mhz frequency for ADS-B/Mode-S. By default it will come with a web interface that will draw plots from the ADS-B data to a map with the Google Maps API. It's a lot better if you have a GPS receiver and a good receiving antenna for more accurate time/location and more tracks.

Weps likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

When I was younger (circa1990) I once owned a Uniden 2830, had it in my car (Ford Capri 2.8i) with a 100w linear burner and I think a moonraker car antenna. I used to go up to the top of a place called Beacon Fell and speak to people in the states, and other far away lands... Oh those were the days.

Puddin and Weps like this

8269120180172123489.png

2 hours ago, Pra3tor1an said:

When I was younger (circa1990) I once owned a Uniden 2830, had it in my car (Ford Capri 2.8i) with a 100w linear burner and I think a moonraker car antenna. I used to go up to the top of a place called Beacon Fell and speak to people in the states, and other far away lands... Oh those were the days.

CQ CQ DX....lol

I had a uniden 2510 w/ 150 watt heater, with a power supply and a Bigstock mounted far above the legal limit, good times. talked to people all over the world.

(This was before pc's or internet)

Pra3tor1an and Weps like this

h2_zpsdpjizr8c.jpg

I've got a CR-142 Regency CB that was originally my grandfathers, sat behind his bar. We'd always play with it when we visted, I'd say it's what got me into radio. Also have an inexpensive Baofeng HT and an SDR dongle. 

Also have a pair of CA-67A/U DNVT automatic data processing terminals that operate in either P2P or TCP/IP @ 16kbps or 32kbps, cutting edge 80's military commo gear. 

Puddin likes this

What kinds of datalink can you receive on them?

27 minutes ago, Weps said:

I've got a CR-142 Regency CB that was originally my grandfathers, sat behind his bar. We'd always play with it when we visted, I'd say it's what got me into radio. Also have an inexpensive Baofeng HT and an SDR dongle. 

Also have a pair of CA-67A/U DNVT automatic data processing terminals that operate in either P2P or TCP/IP @ 16kbps or 32kbps, cutting edge 80's military commo gear. 

I had the technical manual for it at one time, but who knows where that went. Based on what I remember from the manufacturer spec sheet it can be networked into TRI-TAC or any MSE for that matter. I know TRI-TAC utilized SHF X-band to communicate.

Also, I forgot they're DSVT, not DNVT so they are secured to transmit encrypted data. 

Here's a little on the overall for the GMF/TRI-TAC program. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Mobile_Forces

Some info on the units themselves;

http://www.prc68.com/I/CA67.shtml

Solaris likes this

2 hours ago, Weps said:

I had the technical manual for it at one time, but who knows where that went. Based on what I remember from the manufacturer spec sheet it can be networked into TRI-TAC or any MSE for that matter. I know TRI-TAC utilized SHF X-band to communicate.

Also, I forgot they're DSVT, not DNVT so they are secured to transmit encrypted data. 

Here's a little on the overall for the GMF/TRI-TAC program. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Mobile_Forces

Some info on the units themselves;

http://www.prc68.com/I/CA67.shtml

Hah, holy shit I've seen some units like this (probably newer capabilities) in the field in the legacy equipment we work and connect to.

Weps likes this

22 hours ago, iTails said:

Hah, holy shit I've seen some units like this (probably newer capabilities) in the field in the legacy equipment we work and connect to.

I can't find much on them, but they share a lot in common with the KY-68 units.

I've always wanted to get them working on a network, but haven't had the time or means.

Edited by Weps

I've always wanted to try DXing.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3, running LibreELEC (a fork of OpenELEC), currently setup with a 500GB SATA HDD (in an external casing) and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q USB tuner - unfortunately, I don't think the HOA in my subdivision would be very happy if I installed an outdoor antenna so I can actually try TV DXing.

Edited by Robospector