Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Weps

Amateur Radio Thread

14 posts in this topic

Gr-satellites – A collection of GNUradio decoders for satellite telemetry

Spoiler

This post is to present my gr-satellites project. The goal of this project is to make a collection of GNUradio decoders for the telemetry of different satellites. The decoders support submitting telemetry in real time to the PE0SAT telemetry server. Another goal is that the decoders are as easy to use as possible, to try to make more people interested in receiving digital telemetry from satellites and collaborating in online telemetry submission.

The decoders can be used with the Gqrx SDR software, using its UDP audio streaming capabilities. This is the easiest way to use the decoders. It is also possible to use the GNUradio frontends in the companion project gr-frontends. These support several different SDR hardware, WAV and IQ recordings, and conventional receivers connected through a soundcard. They are design to be flexible and to allow its use in headless and automated receiving configurations.

The long-term goal of this project is to provide an alternative software chain to the UZ7HO soundmodem, AGW packet engine and DK3WN telemetry forwarder. The use of GNUradio makes these decoders more configurable and flexible and eases programming decoders for non-AX.25 satellites, which usually employ strong forward error correction.

Currently, the satellites supported by gr-satellites are 3CAT-2, AAUSAT-4 and GOMX-3. I plan to continue adding support for more satellites in the future.

http://destevez.net/2016/08/introducing-gr-satellites/

Weps likes this

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

One thing I've been playing around with since I started working on this new project is serial output from physical radios to controller interfaces to kind of make the transmission VoIP to operator stations. I've only seen this done in proprietary applications with radios like Harris, URC and Motorola so far, using a DB25 to RJ45 adapter on the back of the controller card (2x RJ45 for two channels, pinouts split on serial for 2 ports; see pic), but I'm trying to find a way to do this with consumer radios with DB25/DB9 output. Making serial cables isn't super hard if you have a soldering station and the patience to build them. I don't know of any consumer level controllers though. I can't imagine it would be an out-there technology that wasn't already an open standard in some respect to convert serial radio to VoIP. 

prod_6992522015?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.bidlessnow.com%2Ffull%2FELL%2FELL-1312070.jpg&d=e4cf2ac9f6225f1a62aaaca66795243356656964&hei=245&wid=245&op_sharpen=1&qlt=85

Puddin, WaeV and Weps like this

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer

On 10/4/2016 at 11:52 PM, Solaris said:

One thing I've been playing around with since I started working on this new project is serial output from physical radios to controller interfaces to kind of make the transmission VoIP to operator stations. I've only seen this done in proprietary applications with radios like Harris, URC and Motorola so far, using a DB25 to RJ45 adapter on the back of the controller card (2x RJ45 for two channels, pinouts split on serial for 2 ports; see pic), but I'm trying to find a way to do this with consumer radios with DB25/DB9 output. Making serial cables isn't super hard if you have a soldering station and the patience to build them. I don't know of any consumer level controllers though. I can't imagine it would be an out-there technology that wasn't already an open standard in some respect to convert serial radio to VoIP. 

prod_6992522015?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.bidlessnow.com%2Ffull%2FELL%2FELL-1312070.jpg&d=e4cf2ac9f6225f1a62aaaca66795243356656964&hei=245&wid=245&op_sharpen=1&qlt=85

Any headway on this project? Very interested to hear what you've got so far. 

Solaris likes this

Posted (edited)

On 1/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, Weps said:

Any headway on this project? Very interested to hear what you've got so far. 

Unfortunately I haven't. Life stuff has kind of gotten in the way of my lab setup. Less tech and more baby stuff. :) I've been curious to see if this can be done USB as well, but you would have to write custom drivers. That would make it more universal for controllers like Raspberry Pi and other boards. I'd assume you could use the GPIO pinouts on the Raspberry Pi as well to interface directly with the serial on the radio. 

Edited by Solaris
Weps likes this

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer