What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Allakel

I need an anti virus for a MacBookPro

I need an anti virus for my moms comp. she has a macBookPro. she is running on 10.5.8

She has a processor called

2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

If there is no such thing as an anti virus....what can i do? i think she has a freakin virus! She cant stop clicking on shit.....

Please help me!!!!

Also, I dont know what category section this post goes in to so just move it wherever it needs to go....

<3Allakel<3

Tiddy-bits:

10.5.8 is ancient as hell and you should probably update it to the latest capable version of OS X (Since the Core 2 Duo MacBooks are now unsupported). It will give you the newer security updates. 

There is Avast! Mac Security (Free), so I would give that a shot.

Takka, Kavawuvi and WaeV like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Avast! is a pretty popular option, as well, since they're very well known for being good on the Windows side of things. It's also free. The best antivirus is one that works well without you noticing it, and both do a good job.

Also, it's a myth that OS X doesn't need additional security, or that it doesn't need it as much as a Windows. In fact, Windows 10 may even be a bit more secure due to the fact that Windows Defender is a thing.

Allakel likes this

OS X 10.5.8 is over 6 years old, update the computer first. Avast! is a great option with a large user base.

Upgrading from 10.5 won't be free. You will need to buy Snow Leopard or Lion for $20, first.

The Intel Core 2 Duo Macs should be compatible provided you have at least 2 GB of RAM. Also, Rosetta won't work after Snow Leopard, so if you don't need any of the ancient PowerPC-based applications, you're good to go.

Allakel likes this