Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepe enriquez

ping

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I don't think you could hide the numbers just by modding, as a lot of this stuff is programmed into the game.

You could try a really early version of Halo that doesn't show ping (before 1.03), though you will need a version hack to join 1.10 servers and you will also need to change the master server hostname to display 1.10 servers.

I guess so people don't quit due to the advantage.

I don't know very many people, if any, who have quit because they saw one person with good ping, though I don't play on the MLG noscope pro metagame xbox veteran servers.

NeX likes this

Probably because people bitch so much when your ping is good and think that advantage doesn't go both ways when it does.  Cause if they have high ping and they peak out they had the advantage for about 100~ ms and same for when he is walking to cover since the person with high ping can still see them and shoot them because of the way Sehe's lag compensation works.

Doesn't stop idiots for blaming ping though if your better then them, and when you go to a server were they have high ping and they don't, then they just claim you cheat.

Edit: Also if your the admin of the server and you modify the ping reporting you will break the way Sehe's lag compensation works since it gets player's ping from the same address.

Edited by Devieth

Ping does still can affect gameplay, even when no-lead is enabled. It just doesn't affect how much you lead. Most times it's not a big deal like what everyone makes it out to be, but it can be a big deal when someone has an enormous ping. If someone has 66 ping and another person has 300 ping, for instance, the person with 66 ping has a 7 tick (233 ms) advantage, and this can be noticeable. However, if someone has 66 ping and another person has 130 ping, 2 ticks (67 ms) isn't a big deal, and people need to stop acting like it is.

stunt_man and Krazychic like this

Semi-relevant observation: on PC, it appears to be like 002 says - having a ping higher than another player isn't such a big deal, and in the worst case the high-ping player is at a disadvantage. However, on the Master Chief Collection, players with high ping seem to always have an advantage (they appear to stutter and warp all over the place, making them very hard to hit). The latency compensation seems to work very differently than on PC - from what I can tell, on a PC dedicated server, higher-ping players never really have an advantage. It's a major problem on MCC because players with bad connections benefit greatly and compromise the poor excuse of a ranking system.

On the other hand, one thing that H1 in MCC seems to have eliminated is the warping induced by bump-lag and player velocity. But stability in those things seems to have been traded for shot registration, which imo is far less consistent than on PC. 

Also I'll add that on my "MLG noscope pro metagame xbox veteran servers" you won't see many South American players calling you out on your ping ;)

But I have been called a "pinger" before and I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry. 

Edited by stunt_man