What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Risk

Bethesda stole an entire questline from a mod for DLC

I'm at a loss for words here.

A few weeks before Fallout 4’s release, Autumn Leaves, a Fallout : New Vegas Mod was published on Moddb and the Nexus. It featured a colorful cast of excentric robots, in charge of a forgotten Vault where a strange murder happened. Sounds familiar ?

Maybe, to those who played Far Harbor’s “Brain Dead.”

Edited by Risk
xvii likes this

xgd0s9.jpg

Tiddy-bits:

How about a summary to go with that link?

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

While there's not much to summarize, I edited the OP slightly. However, the comparison images in the link show clear signs of plagiarizing.

xgd0s9.jpg

The title of this thread is a summary of the story. They stole locations, some dialog and the idea for a quest from a mod made for New Vegas.

xvii likes this

Doldrums.png

okay, first things first, fix your title, because its not a sure thing. 

second things eventually, The mod author has stated that he himself doesn't believe they outright stole it. The mod author of autumn leaves says he believes they simply played it and took some inspiration from it. 

As someone who has played both the mod in question, and the sidequest in far harbor, i can say they are very similar, but end in two totally different places. That itself is enough evidence to the fact that it wasn't "stolen". 

third thing, they didnt steal any locations, and the vaults had two totally different reasons for existing, one was meant to be an archive for all human knowledge (and wasnt even associated with vault tec). The one in far harbor is a normal vault experement (slight spoiler, one half of the vault is really fancy and filled with rich people, the other half of the vault never got built).

Edited by Anthony

Who am I but myself?

In all honestly, there's loads of mods out there for the Fallout games and I'm not really suprised the content Bethesda has created was at least somewhat similar to something fan-made. Maybe they did take inspiration, but I don't think that they tried to copy the mod.

OUzc0YQ.gif

Maybe I overreacted a little bit initially, and apparently the mod author doesn't seem to care as much as myself and others, but the parallels in both the Fallout 4 quest and the New Vegas mod hardly seem coincidental to me. My irritation with this is that Bethesda now charges 20 whole dollars for these expansions, yet they fail to fill them with wholly original content. This just seems like a rehash of a popular mod to add a bit of filler. On top of removing the skill system and varying dialogue from the previous two games, Bethesda's level of laziness is really turning me off of their product; granted, with Fallout 3 they more or less combined the stories and objectives of the first two games for their main quest, but the amount of originality in all of the side quests and DLCs really made up for that.

xvii likes this

xgd0s9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0