Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JuliquE

Best Lap-Time Recorder

47 posts in this topic

Try this? idk. I even installed Combat Evolved on my pc but it keeps on crashing on startup now so I can't make sure this works.

best_lap.lua

JuliquE likes this

08f9474ede.jpg

Tiddy-bits:

Busy with the family, so I could only now really get a look at this.

Works perfectly.

One last thing, mind:

I've noted we have a problem with one or two mavericks not stopping for team-mates, at times, which is why I initially wanted for this to disable itself once the server fills out. Would really love if you could make it so the script stops recording times if 7 or more players are in the server (as ever, this could be a config. setting variable), as it otherwise takes away from the racing experience, with people not driving confrontationally (less carnage).

If that's not possible, or too difficult, as an alternative, you can have it so that announcements cease, once 7 or more are in-game… though, I think, if people are aware that the script is still active, in the background, it may defeat the purpose. Still an improvement, again, if disabling itself, altogether, once 7 or more are in is not an option.

Cheers.

b_350x20_C957F6A-000000-FFFFFF-750A0E.pn

This request doesn't make much sense to me. Why not use a taxi script or something instead?

08f9474ede.jpg

This request doesn't make much sense to me. Why not use a taxi script or something instead?

lol, that brings back old xfire memories :lol:

Race, as we enjoy it, involves a number of small dynamics that make up the experience. Part of that is the camaraderie displayed in someone flicking around to see where you've spawned, upon being slain, and picking you up; it's not expected, but can be a pleasant surprise (if not already collaborating on Ventrilo).

Another dynamic is the advantage gained from separating a couple enemies, teamed up in a 'hog; a decision must be made, as to whether it's better for the team to go pick them up or punch your lap/nav. and either continue on or go back for your fallen team-mate, etc. The time it takes for all that, and the momentary upper-hand is reward for your good gunning. Being able to teleport immediately onto the gun-turret or, following someone, who suddenly has a gunner appear on the turret, creates a completely different feel/environment.

Aside from the above, the "taxi" script conflicts with another one we implement, as well.

The other night, you and I were chatting, and, even when you had considered leaving some one of the previously mentioned issues in this thread unaddressed, I was immediately tripping over myself to show my gratitude for your efforts thus far, and said I'm sure it will suffice, as is. If it's one thing, I've tried to maintain a careful tone, as to never come across like I were any more than pitching a suggestion, figuring you're proud of your works, and appreciative of any feedback to make the finished product that bit more polished.

Having said that, nothing I've asked for is a must, and that includes my last request, here. Apologies if maybe it's ruffled a few feathers, me returning to something I thought you might have overlooked, and I can say, with certainty, I would be leaving this thread more than satisfied, were you unwilling to oblige me.

So, thanks, again—it's brilliant work. A lot of scripts I've seen like to have things self-contained; that said, I'm sure some sort of workaround, in the form of maybe an event in SAPP, is more than feasible.

Cheers. =)

At the moment I'm quite busy preparing for CE3 but for now you can just simply use SAPP events to luad/unload the script based on player count.

JuliquE likes this

08f9474ede.jpg

Hm. Just had the chance to test this further:

Upon joining, you see the all-time record, as expected.

Got the first lap, whilst alone in-game, and it were rightly set as the new current record.

On my second lap, it told me how far off the all-time record I was, again, as you'd expect.

From then onward, it wouldn't give me any notifications (couldn't beat the record time, with a couple tries, to report further behaviour)

Seems to be sequencing properly, but only sending a message to the current lap record holder ONCE, instead of once for every lap the current lap record holder completes.

Hope that helps, and sorry for the delayed report (seemed fine with more in the server, since I wouldn't always hold the current lap for too long).

Lovely.

I later noticed the "million-decimal accuracy" thing, but, as noted earlier in this thread, that seems relatively harmless (mentioning it, anyway, just in case; not sure if you've looked into it, for this latest update).

Tested a number of key aspects on this one, and it seems to pass muster.

Many thanks, then.

Noticed that, if, say, your player limit is six, it will keep sending the message that laps times aren't being recorded, at the start of each map, so long as there are still six in the server… and it will send once for each player in (in this case, six times).

Thought I'd report it.

Otherwise, after getting a bit more time to test it out, and under a few different conditions, everything seems to be working fine.

Upon reflection, the message would ideally only be displayed once the player limit is reached, and not at the start of each map (the same way it works the other way around, with the message indicating times are being recorded only showing the one time, as well).

Hope that helps.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0