Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Overclocking

27 posts in this topic

I'm happy they're available.  Take my 980ti for example.  Its selling point was the fact that it's got its own water loop and rad so good luck overheating it.  But the board's power circuitry and also the cooling for those circuits as well as the memory are a standard blower cooler and aren't upgraded in any advertised way.  Either because of this, or because I just didn't get a great chip, I can't get my 980ti stable at the same clocks as most normal air cooled aftermarket versions.  I basically have a stock card with a 120mm rad on the gpu.  It won't throttle, but it's barely any faster.

oVoXWXc.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I re-enabled my 4.5 GHz overclock.

tGMhBw5.png

Temperatures fluctuate between 67-73˚C when stress testing using AIDA64, staying at around 70˚C most of the time. I think for a $30 cooler, that's pretty good.

DiSiAC, Pra3tor1an, Sceny and 1 other like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1
status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2
competent.png

I'm still using a Hyper 212 Evo on my CPU.  At 3.9GHz I can't think of any games that push it up over 70c, but I need to get a 120mm rad and loop for it because my new gpu isn't taking up any space on the top of the case.  Maybe then I could go back over 4GHz and it'll be able to keep up with this 1080ti better :) 

DiSiAC, 002 and Tucker933 like this

oVoXWXc.png

I'd love to start pushing my new build ...after I'm done with my entry for the modding competition. Quite good cooling on this time around.

2nd-landin.png

17 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

I'd love to start pushing my new build ...after I'm done with my entry for the modding competition. Quite good cooling on this time around.

If my PC's cheap-o air cooler can effortlessly get 4.5 GHz out of my 6700K, I wouldn't be surprised if you can push 4.7 GHz with your AiO.

competent.png

30 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

I've just found overclocking hard to justify at this point in time lol

Nothing I could use more performance with.

I really only overclocked my PC's CPU because I could, and I wanted to see how far I could take it without blowing it up.

There probably won't be any reason to overclock it in the next 3-4 years or so.

competent.png