What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Overclocking

27 posts in this topic

Do you overclock? This includes anything that can be overclocked, including CPUs, GPUs, RAM, etc. If so, share your results/opinions.

Overclocking allows users to push their hardware beyond its rated specifications, making it run faster than designed. Many different types of hardware can be overclocked, not just CPUs and GPUs. While the art itself isn’t new, many tools and motherboards have been released to make it easy for even total novices to get a decent chunk of additional performance out of their hardware as simple as possible.

However, it’s not always “free” performance. Raising the voltage may be necessary to prevent instability and crashes depending on the overclock. Doing so increases power consumption, thus increasing heat output. Sometimes, users will have to invest in better cooling to actually benefit from overclocking; processors don’t function well in extreme heat, potentially becoming even more unstable. Also, not every chip is created equally – processors may overclock better or worse than otherwise identical processors; this is commonly referred to the "silicon lottery" by some. Lastly, overclocking can void the warranty, so it’s important to make sure a chip isn’t defective before overclocking it.

Takka and WaeV like this

Tiddy-bits:

I feel like I might as well, if I have decent headroom. It's fun and the difference is usually significant enough to notice.

Kavawuvi likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

I'll overclock the RAM, CPU, and GPU. Even if I don't get anything significant out of doing so, it's always good to know how fast it can go, just for the sake of knowing.

My BIOS auto-overclocks my CPU and RAM and apparently my GPU can do the same due to drivers/ some tools that came with it I guess.

So, I let them do the job for me. And so far I haven't really run into performance issues.

The last time I OCed manually was when I still had my Pentium D. Today I don't see a need to do it manually again tho.

Currently running a slight over clock on my FX8320 of 500ghz giving me 4 ghz core speed, not a huge boost but does help planetside 2 slightly. I'm watercooled so could probably push more, but why...

8269120180172123489.png

I oc'd my g3258 to 4.4ghz (stock 3.2) for a decent performance increase.

The Q9550 that I really need to retire won't take an OC to save it's life.

I used to keep my Q6600 at 3.0ghz (stock 2.4) and ran it that way for several years.  

Kavawuvi likes this

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

I've only really done it with my GPU, but it was unstable even with the slightest OC. I just leave my stuff stock. 

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I oc'd my g3258 to 4.4ghz (stock 3.2) for a decent performance increase.

The Q9550 that I really need to retire won't take an OC to save it's life.

I used to keep my Q6600 at 3.0ghz (stock 2.4) and ran it that way for several years.  

Nice! You pretty much have to overclock the G3258 to make up for the lack of threads.

DiSiAC likes this

No, I don't overclock.

I had been overclocking my AMD Athlon X2. It was kinda fun I guess, but subjectively I couldn't tell the difference. When I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 I had many bluescreen crashes, until I turned off overclocking at which point it became solid as a rock. Apparently my overclocking led to errors, and Win7 was better than XP at detecting those errors. (I'd rather have a machine crash than be incorrect.)

In addition to correctness, I also like my computers to be cool and quiet. Overclocking generates somewhat more heat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My current CPU is a Xeon E3. It's basically an i7 equivalent, but there was an option to omit integrated graphics (cheaper, less power draw, runs cooler). It also comes with all the virtualization options. I was happy to give up the opportunity to overclock.

Nice! You pretty much have to overclock the G3258 to make up for the lack of threads.

It makes for a wonderful lower power consumption media server. 

Kavawuvi likes this

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0