What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Kavawuvi

How much RAM do you consider to be enough?

54 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

13 hours ago, Krazychic said:

Well someone's gotta be ;)

63761743.jpg

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

On 6/25/2016 at 8:58 PM, WaeV said:

For new machines in 2016:

For most users, 4GB is enough.

For power users and gaming, I'd prefer 8GB.

For high-end workstations, 16GB.

Time flies!

These days, I'd recommend 8GB for most users and 16GB+ for power users.

Skeezix the Cat likes this

I only jumped to 8GB for Logic Pro. When you have multiple tracks going, gotta need a bit more horsepower, unless you want to mix in a slow environment.

Kavawuvi likes this

On 3/28/2017 at 0:46 AM, WaeV said:

Time flies!

These days, I'd recommend 8GB for most users and 16GB+ for power users.

My recommendations have not changed over the past year. If it's a system that you're going to be using as your PC, anything less than 8 GB is unwise. If you're doing more than just gaming, or you're doing something while gaming at the same time such as streaming, or you need lots of Chrome tabs, then I think 16 GB is a healthy amount. The few people who need more than that know what they need it for.

However, one thing has changed...

On 6/27/2016 at 9:24 PM, 002 said:

The cheapest 2x2 GB DDR3 kits listed for Newegg are $20.98, or $5.25 per gigabyte.

The cheapest 4 GB DDR4 sticks listed for Newegg are $16.98, or $4.25 per gigabyte.

The cheapest 8 GB DDR4 sticks listed for Newegg are $29.98, or $3.75 per gigabyte. You can also get RAM rated for 2400 MHz (XMP) at this price.

The cheapest 2x4 GB DDR4 kits listed for Newegg are $29.98, or $3.75 per gigabyte. You can also get RAM rated for 2400 MHz (XMP) at this price.

The cheapest 16 GB DDR4 sticks listed for Newegg are $54.99 or $3.44 per gigabyte.

The cheapest 2x8 GB DDR4 kits listed for Newegg are $49.99, or $3.12 per gigabyte.

The cheapest 4x4 GB DDR4 kits listed for Newegg are $49.99, or $3.12 per gigabyte.

That was a year ago.

Today, this is the cheapest 8 GB kit of DDR4 DIMMs that you can find off of PCPartPicker.

DNNWLed.png

Yeah... The price of RAM has doubled since I made this post. This may be due to higher demand.

I've come to the conclusion that I need more RAM in my workstation at work, especially when building baseline images in virtual machines. SSDs would be nice as well.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I'm running 32GB on my PC for no real reason other than the fact that I had an Amazon gift card at one point and couldn't think of anything else to use it on so I bought 16GB of RAM to add to the 16GB I already had.

Skeezix the Cat likes this

51 minutes ago, Iggy said:

I'm running 32GB on my PC for no real reason other than the fact that I had an Amazon gift card at one point and couldn't think of anything else to use it on so I bought 16GB of RAM to add to the 16GB I already had.

I technically have 32GB of DDR4 total, except one kit is like 2400MHz 4x4 and my current kit is 2x8 3000.  And I have pretty much the only x99 mobo with only 4 ram slots, but that's okay because if I really wanted to I could have 24GB with these sticks but I don't want to nerf my 3k sticks

oVoXWXc.png

2 hours ago, 002 said:

Yeah... The price of RAM has doubled since I made this post. This may be due to higher demand.

Nah they just can't be bothered competing anymore.

Samsung, Hynix, and Micron, which TrendForce reports have "opted for co-existence as the best way to maximize their own profitability." They are, therefore, "turning away from aggressively competing for market share through price reduction and capacity expansion."

Remember It's ok to publicly admit to price fixing and collusion now and have nothing done about it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/231768/pc-dram-pricing-increased-20-sep-oct-2016-will-continue-rising-in-2017-trendforce

Edited by Vaporeon
WaeV likes this