What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OneWatching

Blank name in server list?

18 posts in this topic

sorry!... same old question...

anyone know what alt code is used for making a blank name for the Halo server list?

none suggested have worked, all default to "Halo"

(Makes your map appear at the top of the list)

Edited by OneWatching

Tiddy-bits:

Out of curiosity, why would you want a blank name?

Kavawuvi likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Try these symbols, somehow its not showing the symbols, but it should show when you copy it to your init. sv_name ""

Edit: The symbols got removed when i posted, is there a way to include an attachment with the symbols?

Edited by =GG=DLBon

Lol this again. Last time this topic came up it created a bunch of drama about what clan or group "invented" it, or had some exclusive rights, blah blah.

Its simple in notepad++, I believe they are EOF/EOL symbols. Hex codes are converted. Play around with it

WaeV likes this

KsqHutE.png

Correct!  ASH clan claims it as one of their unique features.  I DO NOT intend to compete with them in any manner.

I only ask because no one will tell me... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just simple curiosity.

I have an old crap computer. I have a lot of fun playing Halo, but no one from ASH clan will ever answer any questions about the game.  I do not know a lot about it, but I do enjoy making maps and solving issues. Most importantly, I have time to offer.

I love the Infinity map and also Danger Canyon. My 1st question to ASH clan was: why do you run it with a blank name?  Never an answer.  Next question: why do you have rules but never enforce them?  no answer.  For about 2 years or more now, every question I have ever asked them has been unanswered.  I would love to learn more about sapp & scripts, but I have had no luck getting it running. 

So, my quest started with the one simple question... what's the big deal about a blank name & why keep it secret? ...if your map is really better, then it really doesn't matter if you have a blank name or not. ASH clan tends to have a lot of rules, but does not enforce any of them. Very confusing and the process to get someone who is botting banned, is ridiculous!  They make it clear that they just don't care. :)   

Thank you for your time, helpful suggestions, and entertaining comments.

Travis Drake, Michigan pot farmer :D  

So, my quest started with the one simple question... what's the big deal about a blank name & why keep it secret? 

Big clans suck. Many of them want to "own" as much of the lobby as possible, as if it's their own little battleground. They feel entitled to claim as much "territory" as possible. To do this, they resort to using some of the most mediocre, half-assed CSS mods ever made, as well as adding invisible characters in their server names in order to make an effort to actually stand out. It turns out that if everyone does this, then nobody stands out. That's why they aren't so keen on sharing this.

I used to run a server called Arcade CTF, which featured a unique script that was made for fun, did not use any of the above tactics to cheat some players, and it was also at a disadvantage by starting with the letter S. Guess what? It was 1st or 2nd place on Game Tracker for months until I had to shut it down because I needed the money for something else. I actually had to change hosting providers for it because of all of the bandwidth it was sucking down each week. In fact, I never even intended for it to go somewhere and just wanted to test a script for about a week or so before shutting it down. It turns out not trying to stand out has little effect on traffic. I wonder why?

WaeV and NeX like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0