Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EmeraldNite

Effects as Scenery?

It's been a while, so hey to whoever's still around :P

I've been thinking about creating a UI.map for a mod I've been working on during the little spare time that I have. I was planning on doing a sort of battle-themed diorama scene which the camera rotates around, kind of like the Halo 3 commercials from way back when. Scenery shouldn't be a problem but the real question would be this: is it possible to have certain effects and decals present as scenery objects? For example, things like Sentinel contrails or gun bursts would be frozen in a single frame.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

26024410600_9a649d0cb7_o.jpg

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Kind of. You can make effects with similar velocities to the real-time versions, so that you get the right dispersion, but the particles slow to a complete stop and have an infinite lifespan, as if they freeze at a particular point. This would be problematic with wind, though, because such particles would need a ton of air friction, so you'd have to get rid of wind on your maps unless you want your effects to start floating away lol

As for contrails, that's a lot easier. You can use a projectile emitter, or make a big model with a custom shader that imitates it.

WaeV likes this

I see. The emitter would probably be a good way to go for the contrails. I'll look into that. For now I'm just trying to start with the basics since it's been forever since I've touched HEK.

26272549886_be26925fc0_b.jpg
Just a quick preview of what I'm starting with. As soon as I add the music and find some UI scripts to actually compile into the map I should have more to show off.

I'll try and post pics or video of the finished UI when I get the chance.

I see. The emitter would probably be a good way to go for the contrails. I'll look into that. For now I'm just trying to start with the basics since it's been forever since I've touched HEK.

Just a quick preview of what I'm starting with. As soon as I add the music and find some UI scripts to actually compile into the map I should have more to show off.

I'll try and post pics or video of the finished UI when I get the chance.

Hey, if you want some images or sprites made, I can help with that. I've always wanted to mess with the UI, but gave up after the scope of the work became insane for one person.

KsqHutE.png

Thanks for the offer, but at the moment I'm putting the UI to the side while I work on some other projects to re-familiarize myself with the game (modding-wise). I had the bsp ready to go but whenever I compiled the map I ended up with no UI options once the game loaded, even though I downloaded the proper scripts.