What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luke

Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition (And Pocket I guess)

AKA Bastard Edition. I kid, I kid. What is Minecraft Windows 10 Edition? Why am I making a whole review for something that you are all intimately aware of?...

Cause y'all don't know shit about Windows 10 Edition. Siddown n buckle in kiddos.

The freaking flip-flap is this trash?

yjR7SiD.jpg

It's a little more special than a straight up rewrite of Minecraft in whatever C#.netMicrosoftey stuff. Why? Cause it has XBOX Live Integration Because it is actually a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) port of the Minecraft: Pocket Edition codebase. This means that Pocket Edition players and Windows 10 players can build together in perfect mofuggn harmony look at that-

Qvjekkv.jpg

mwah beyootiful

What's REALLY good?

• Crossplatform YAY. Maybe XBOX crossplay too when PE hits XBOX feature parity? Dreams amirite?
  • Honestly pretty decent feature parity to PC. Only notable missing I can think of is pistons, which is coming next update. The End is missing too but does anyone care?
  • FAST. This is the version of Minecraft that will really run on your toaster, and since its a universal app, probably your Raspberry Pi.
  • So here's a trick I figured out: You can play with as many people as you own computers without buying any more copies. Make sure you're logged into Windows with the account that has Windows 10 Edition, then change your user in the XBOX app. My girlfriend and I play together in bed, me on the Steam Link, and her on my Surface Pro 3.
  • Speaking of the Surface, it has touch controls on Windows just like Pocket, and here's an addendum to the "Fast" point: While the Pro 3 did whine like a bitch like it does when you load up anything more intensive than OneNote, *Cough* Three Chrome Tabs *Cough* it did not throttle once.
  • Xinput support. Why doesn't the Java version have xinput in 2016 I mean really?

8N5PdWE.jpg

What's steaming ass?

• It's a UWP app... Yeah, great, it runs on ARM. The codebase that has targeted ARM since 2011 supports arm I AM NOT SURPRISED.
    If you want to know why UWP apps are hot flaming crap for games, google the terms "gears of war ultimate edition". The short of it is, no exclusive fullscreen, vsync always, no SLI/CF (because no exclusive fullscreen), no real exe(???) so you can't point say, Steam at it.
  • No Steam means I have to change my Controller desktop config every fucking time I play in bed grrrrrrr.
  • Max player count for a LAN listen server is 5. This is probably a holdover from Pocket though, I imagine they'll bump that for Windows hosts eventually.
  • No server binaries. This game has an option to add custom servers, with no actual server software. The "solution" is to use unofficial implementations of the server (did you see those sarcasm quotes???). There's three choices, and three ways to disappoint yourself. The most popular is PocketMine-MP, followed by Nukkit, and finally MiNET, written in PHP, Java, and C# respectively. They all lack the two features that survival normies (me) actually care about- AI and terrain generation. None of them support biomes, and everything looks like minecraft classic. Super shitty maps, you'd have to pre-generate and import, somehow. NOTE: I am not saying W10/Pocket lacks these, it has them just fine. I'm saying the home-made server implementations don't have them.

Microsoft doesn't want to support custom servers so they can sell you Realms but PE Realms has been removed til a future update this year.
    :| I'd pay too.
  • No sword blocking. This is another Pocket Edition holdover I imagine, no right clicking on a touch screen after all, doubt this one will be fixed though.
  • There's no pistons but they have the shitty boats with the oars. Remember when everyone thought boats couldn't be any worse hAHhahaHAhahAh.

AdHHvUA.jpg

What's subjective?

It's vanilla Minecraft. I personally believe that the people who download Feed The Beast are the same people who get xenon lights and stick on hood scoops from AutoZone for their Civic Coupe. You may think your hood scoop looks nice. We'll agree to disagree.

Should I do the thing?

If you're someone who has any sort of interest in playing vanilla survival with mobile players, or your toaster can't play the java one too good no more (stop adding bullshit jens), go ahead and do it. It's 12:46 AM here, and that means that there's still like two hours before the raffle closes tuckertime. You (probably) like Minecraft. Do what your heart wants.

Edited by Luke
WaeV, Kavawuvi, NeX and 1 other like this

Tiddy-bits:

• No sword blocking. This is another Pocket Edition holdover I imagine, no right clicking on a touch screen after all, doubt this one will be fixed though.

Minecraft no longer has blocking with swords, as shields were added in the latest update. It probably won't ever be a thing on the Windows 10 version, knowing them.

No official server binaries is too bad, as well as the lack of Realms. We did try Realms a bunch of years ago with the desktop version of Minecraft, and it seemed to be all right.

I like that you actually addressed us mod using non-normies and I accept your opinion. However, it will take even more convenience than that to get me to play vanilla again. Also, halogen is the worst headlight tech. That's what is in all your gross, yellow stock headlights that have faded over the years. I think you're thinking of Xenon or HID. /shamelesscorrection

WaeV likes this

oVoXWXc.png

I like that you actually addressed us mod using non-normies and I accept your opinion. However, it will take even more convenience than that to get me to play vanilla again. Also, halogen is the worst headlight tech. That's what is in all your gross, yellow stock headlights that have faded over the years. I think you're thinking of Xenon or HID. /shamelesscorrection

OOOOPS

Skeezix the Cat likes this

im still only hosting 1.8.9  but thats all i need  :D  :D  :P

Edited by GsCConCF

it will take even more convenience than that to get me to play vanilla again

Yeah. The desktop version of Minecraft is only great if you're modding it. Otherwise, it's pretty bad. Single player is boring unless you're building something in creative. In fact, I've stopped playing it as much because of how cruddy the gameplay is.

Also, the Java version performs terribly on my laptop. It's not new, but Minecraft is a lot older, and Intel HD 4000 is extremely popular. I could get "Optifine", which lets you turn down even more things. Despite everyone I know saying that it "dublez ur fps 4 fr33", just installing it has little effect on performance in my case. Even if it did, that only further shows that the game has less value without mods.

2016-03-30_18.45.39.png

My desktop destroys Minecraft, but that's to be expected, as it has a faster CPU, GPU, RAM, and everything else except that it uses a slower interface (SATA 6Gbps) for the SSD.

2016-03-30_18.28.49.png

Having a non-Java alternative is great, especially one with cross-platform play, but it's not moddable, and not very many people actually like the Windows 10 Store. Aside from the gargantuan performance improvements, I really only see it being popular on mobile devices.

The word on the tweet is that modding is coming??? Am very excited at the prospect of an official API thats not in java.

The word on the tweet is that modding is coming??? Am very excited at the prospect of an official API thats not in java.

Yes, Phil Spencer said something along the lines with UWP complied games having some support for mods. I'm still gonna stay away from the Windows Store however.

Humans of the Halomaps Forum: A comedy about lynching Sparky.

https://www.facebook.com/Humans-of-the-Halomaps-Forum-950977501622757

Announced in E3 was the Better Together update which will include cross-platform gameplay with Windows 10, Pocket Edition, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch. This also includes support for custom servers. It may be worthwhile to update this review when that happens. However, Luke hasn't been online in a long time, so someone may opt to creating a new topic if they're up to this.

A few other reasons to write a new review:

• A lot has changed since this review was written.
  • It's mostly on par with the Java version now. Objectively speaking, aside from a lack of being able to turn off vSync, the best Minecraft vanilla experience is on the Windows 10 version, as it plays much better (better performance and better render distance) and it even looks a bit better.
  • A couple cons have been addressed or parially addressed: Minecraft Realms is available for Pocket Edition, and pistons have been around for quite some time.

Though if a review is going to be made, I'd hold off on it until one or two months after the Better Together update comes out.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0