Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Monthly Raffle: Information & Updates

229 posts in this topic

I was considering your first suggestion at one point if we could have an automated system for it, which would probably be doable for our update to IPB4, but it's just not feasible to keep track of at the moment.

In regards to your other suggestion, I feel like it would be too much like a posting competition, where some people would pursue quantity of content over quality, which I've seen become a huge issue on other forums.

Could be negated by having the "milestones" be impractically large after one small-number count to get people interested in starting to post. E.g. 10, 500, 1500, 3000 posts.  Celebratory numbers that are highly infrequent that only qualify you for entry into one raffle each.  Anyone who spam-posts 1500 posts for a single raffle entry- a shot at $20- is nuts.

Other than that, expand tickets for modding to other games- if someone creates and posts a mod or script of some type for another game we widely play such as Fallout 4.  Maybe some sort of artwork or literary contest every now and then where the winner gets a large number of tickets, or a gameplay contest for similar reward.

ZFkXnuW.png External link

Tiddy-bits:

Could be negated by having the "milestones" be impractically large after one small-number count to get people interested in starting to post. E.g. 10, 500, 1500, 3000 posts.  Celebratory numbers that are highly infrequent that only qualify you for entry into one raffle each.  Anyone who spam-posts 1500 posts for a single raffle entry- a shot at $20- is nuts.

Maybe, but I really just don't like the concept. Either for the reason I gave, or for the solution you gave, because tickets should be pursued, but post counts shouldn't.

Other than that, expand tickets for modding to other games- if someone creates and posts a mod or script of some type for another game we widely play such as Fallout 4.

We're getting into Fallout 4, but it's just taking longer behind the scenes than anticipated. For as long as you see the Fallout 4 section up, it's still being pursued in a meaningful way.

Maybe some sort of artwork or literary contest every now and then where the winner gets a large number of tickets, or a gameplay contest for similar reward.

We unfortunately can't currently support dedicated artwork or literary sections (it's been extensively before, but there's very insufficient interest/activity), but we will be having a monthly competition or two for large quantities of tickets in our Fallout 4 section, when we accomplish what we need to.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

splashdown.png

What about solving someone's technical support question?

I thought about that for months, and only recently dismissed it due to all the special circumstances that would need to be accounted for.

• It would be easy for people to get friends to ask basic questions about pretty much anything, which they could then instantly answer and receive credit for. That could be solved by only awarding tickets for every 3 answered questions, which would make it easier to spot suspicious activity, but it would be a mess to rig and display that status somewhere so people know how far along they are to earning the tickets.
  • In a lot of circumstances people solve their own problems later down the line, and credit themselves, which they should do, but the system would have to ignore OP's answering their own questions, which adds yet more complexity to an automated system.
  • OP's would need to be locked in to their selection of who resolved their problem, which can be problematic because I've seen a lot of people change their mind or realize later that it wasn't actually solved.
  • People can also accurately answer questions by saying something simply isn't possible, but I don't really feel someone should get tickets for that. Yet it should still be referenced.
  • and lastly off the top of my head, circumstances like in this topic, the OP supplies the final product, but it's just slightly tweaked work that someone else already contributed in the topic. For a Q/A system, you want that final product to be referenced, but that reference doesn't always represent the creator.

I really wanted to figure a way to award tickets for this, but it's just way too messy with all the special circumstances. When we update the raffle system for IPB4, people will be able to trade tickets like currency, which people could for example use in support sections when they badly need help. But there should be more ways for people to initially earn tickets to begin with, which is part of the reason for this topic.

What about for thinking of good raffle ideas? :P

Sure. =p

15 tickets for anything we can reasonably implement within the next few days.

Sceny likes this

splashdown.png

Don't let my shooting your ideas down discourage anyone, aside from Risk. =p

It doesn't necessarily need to be based around something we already have. 15 tickets for a good answer.

splashdown.png