Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
giraffe

Xbox ADPCM audio codec installer

Information:

This should allow you to install the Xbox ADPCM audio codec on any system running Windows XP or higher. Xbox ADPCM audio is often the format used to compile short sounds for Halo Custom Edition.

You can compile Xbox ADPCM sound tags (must have this audio codec installed) through tool with this command:

tool.exe sounds <directory> xbox 0

For more information refer to a sound tag tutorial.

Installation:

Extract the files from XBADPCM.zip to a folder. Right click "XBADPCM_install.inf", then click install.

Removal:

You can uninstall the audio codec the same way you would uninstall any other program.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfqswstvlcr5ayv/XBADPCM.zip?dl=0

Confirmed working on:

Windows XP (32-bit)

Windows 7 (64-bit)

Windows 10 (64-bit)

If using a different operating system, let me know if it works.

WaeV, NeX, swamp and 1 other like this

Tiddy-bits:

Can someone fill me in as to why the Xbox ADPCM codec is better than OGG?

I can tell you how it is better, but not that it is better. Many OGG sounds playing at once is likely to cause your sound to cut out in Halo. This doesn't seem to be much of an issue for Xbox ADPCM sounds, hence why most short sounds that play simultaneously (primarily sound effects) use Xbox ADPCM. It wouldn't be pleasant if the sound of your gunfire kept cutting out.

TL;DR - Use OGG for anything but sound effects.

Edited by giraffe
WaeV and NeX like this

I can tell you how it is better, but not that it is better. Many OGG sounds playing at once is likely to cause your sound to cut out in Halo. This doesn't seem to be much of an issue for Xbox ADPCM sounds, hence why most short sounds that play simultaneously (primarily sound effects) use Xbox ADPCM. It wouldn't be pleasant if the sound of your gunfire kept cutting out.

TL;DR - Use OGG for anything but sound effects.

Gotcha. I have noticed that nastiness, particularly with poorly ripped tags.  You'd fire a sniper rifle with a "trailing echo", making the whole firing sound effect probably a 2 second deal. But shooting rapidly, and you'd find that the next shot's sound effect totally cuts off the first one, and it's a nasty, abrupt cut that is extremely obvious.

Thanks, appreciate the work to get this out

WaeV and giraffe like this

KsqHutE.png

Girraffe, I know the thread is old, but when I compile sounds (music) in ogg it happens the average problem of not being ingame, do I need the ogg codec istalled?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0