What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skeezix the Cat

Computer boots normally but black display

11 posts in this topic

Yesterday my computer was on and running fine, then I went bowling with my cousin and when I came back I had a black screen. Moving the mouse to wake the screen worked, the monitor registered a display signal and turned on but that signal was just a black screen. So I restarted. Same thing. Couldn't even see the boot logos. The motherboard plays a single short beep, and the debug LED is not throwing any errors. I tried reseating the GPU and also tried another GPU and it made zero difference. I do not have integrated graphics that I could try. I can get the system to boot all the way to the desktop, just no display (but I can hear the Skype startup sound)

I've come to the conclusion that the six and 8 pin power connectors are not actually getting power, because this sounds like exactly what happens when you forget to plug in your power pins to the GPU. But my PSU is not modular, and the pins are most definitely connected. So is my PSU bad? I could believe that, except I have had no symptoms of a failing PSU at all. No game crashes, or system crashes of any kind for a long time. And that's with four+ hour sessions in Dying Light. Specs:

Intel i7 [email protected] across all six cores (BIOS has been reset so I guess stock 3.3GHz now but that's what it was when last stable)

4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400-CL14

Gigabyte SOC Champion X99 Motherboard

EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid (was overclocked to like 1250-1300MHz)

Intel 520 120GB boot SSD

Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

2.5" Toshiba 110GB 5400RPM

Sound Blaster Z

PCI USB 3.0 expansion card

Been running all of this on a Corsair GS800 watt. What do you guys think? Probably just been pushing the poor thing too much? 800 Watts is well within spec for a single 980Ti but I do have a lot of peripherals. Is it possible I just burned out the circuits for the 6 and 8 pin connectors? I'm about to go and get the Antec PSU I put in the computer I gave my mom to see if I can confirm this theory but until then I'm open to ideas.

oVoXWXc.png

Tiddy-bits:

No, no smell. And I was waiting for my dad to wake up so I could get to the other computer but he's getting up now so I'll report back in a bit after the swap

oVoXWXc.png

I'm confused. You say you can get all the way to the desktop, but no boot logos? Try pressing F8 to get into Safe Mode and look through Event Viewer if possible.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I'm confused. You say you can get all the way to the desktop, but no boot logos? Try pressing F8 to get into Safe Mode and look through Event Viewer if possible.

I only know it got to the desktop because I could hear the Skype sound. I couldn't see anything, at any point. BIOS, safe mode, desktop, all black screen.

I hooked up the Antec PSU and it changed nothing, although usually when I power my system on all the fans blast at top speed for a second and with this PSU some barely moves at first. It's only a 450w PSU, but I had to take the 980Ti out and put the 270X in because the PSU didn't have enough connectors for the GTX. A 450w should at least be able to boot a stock 270X system. Now my next guess is that somewhere, somehow, a cable is loose or disconnected. So I guess I'm going to take apart the whole thing and detail the shit out of it.

oVoXWXc.png

Do you get any OSD option from the monitor when you hit buttons?

Also, if you suspect the pci-e connectors aren't delivering enough power, unplug them and see if it boots to windows.  It's been a while but my systems would either not post or work with reduced graphics quality and a warning saying the gpu need more juice.

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

Do you get any OSD option from the monitor when you hit buttons?

Also, if you suspect the pci-e connectors aren't delivering enough power, unplug them and see if it boots to windows. It's been a while but my systems would either not post or work with reduced graphics quality and a warning saying the gpu need more juice.

I have a...peculiar monitor. It has no on screen options of any kind. Any form or color or brightness tweaks would have to be done through software, thankfully it was perfect on day one so there has never been a need. I don't have my spare monitor lying around but once I get my PC all back together the next step would be to take it to my mom's TV and see if I can get a display there. It would suck if my monitor was bad because I'd feel compelled to get a better one if I have to buy one at all. Not as bad as the GPU dying, but it's a close second as far as expense goes...

As for the PCI connectors, I've never had a GPU function at all if it needed connectors and didn't get them. It would just show a black screen and actually usually hang after post. Besides, two PSUs and three GPUs have not changed the symptoms so I'm ruling out power delivery for now.

DiSiAC likes this

oVoXWXc.png

It may not be the GPU. Have you tried other connectors or ports on the GPU and monitor? Could be a faulty cable/port or the monitor as well.

DiSiAC and Pra3tor1an like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0