Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeX

Global Item Spawn Replacement Script

37 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Seems gross comparatively. I would certainly hope a toggle option is there for that.

Gross, as in you wouldn't want to hear it?

I certainly wouldn't be against having a command to turn it off on a per-player basis.

Gross, as in you wouldn't want to hear it?

Yes. It's very intrusive. I'm all about visual feedback, so glancing at the timer is very easy. If you're in a firefight, there are always breaks for reloads, or scrambles for cover, or it just ends. Even still each encounter is like...<5 seconds, so if something is imminent, it's very easy to keep track of.

I feel like the only reason people would want audible timers is if they cannot process visual information fast enough to understand what is going on. /s

Just kidding, I get the need, but it seems like a "one or the other". I don't want my car constantly reminding me via speakers what RPM my engine is at, or what my current speed is, because there is a very simple visual cue right there. A glance down takes maybe 1/10 second.

But seriously, it's fine, and I like that it's Jen Taylor, but the inability to turn it off would be silly. Plus, if it involves map scripts, you've got a whole new can of worms for QA/Testing.

Adding mute to the preexisting /stfu_timer or whatever it is would be pretty simple, tbh, if it's done with that in mind in the HSC scripting. 

KsqHutE.png

Makes me wonder if a recent SAPP update is at fault. Looks like SAPP hasn't updated since November 2015.

Something else has to be going on - something has changed between it working and now (obviously).

SAPP development has really slowed, and I'm unsure if there will be a new release. It's really too bad that SAPP is closed-source, which I guess is the price you pay. I wouldn't be surprised about bugs creeping up over time that were previously unnoticed.

NeX likes this

SAPP development has really slowed, and I'm unsure if there will be a new release. It's really too bad that SAPP is closed-source, which I guess is the price you pay. I wouldn't be surprised about bugs creeping up over time that were previously unnoticed.

Entirely possible, but I think this is more likely some edge case that I didn't properly test or maybe even consider. There's a lot of crap going on in there, could easily break if I missed something small

KsqHutE.png

I know that there are a few people still working on "betas" for SAPP. I talked with bfrqrv from BK Clan and he says he has several versions of SAPP that he has worked on that will come to a final release sometime in the near future.

so in reading this: if I use this on a "modded" map (weapons have changed) this script will not work for that map? Only works if current vanilla tagset has not changed?

It really just depends on the tag names. It should only really be a problem for the timer notifications, not the actual spawning. Like when asshats protect maps, even if you death star it, it becomes impossible to tell what some tags are, especially custom ones.

Take a look through the script comments to get a feel for it

KsqHutE.png

Makes me wonder if a recent SAPP update is at fault. Looks like SAPP hasn't updated since November 2015.

Something else has to be going on - something has changed between it working and now (obviously).

It's never had that problem before, and I tested on RR almost exclusively because of the floating powerups in the ceiling. In fact you were in there a few of those times when I was working the kinks out.

You need to take a close look at what specific versions of RR you're running or if it's a new gametype/weapontype setting. It's entirely possible that it breaks under some setting that should work fine - but isn't. 

However again, some catalyst exposed this bug (assuming it is one), and finding out what that was will actually do a lot for diagnosing the bug itself.

Afraid I can't do much for you atm, I'll be booked up with work all day today.

You can put a print statement before and after each function call to figure out where it's de-railing, but that only helps you if you have access to the actual console. Maybe using 002's remote console app would be a good idea here for debugging.

Just print things like this:

code code code code

ScriptStartFunctionOrWhateverItsCalled(arguments and shit){

print("Started Function")

DoSomethingFancy()

print("Did Something Fancy")

MapReset()

print("Reset the Map")

}

It may be that the map reset is simply a coincidence - it could be crashing upon the first spawn of items after the reset, or something like that. The more you find out, the faster it can be fixed.

Alright I now have access to a the console of one of my servers (hosted on VPS as per the Linux VPS thread). So the print command outputs only into console? There's no way to print to the log?

As you may have heard, sehe has update SAPP with a new functionality called "disable_timer_offsets":

New: disable_timer_offsets command. Weapons and powerups will spawn exactly in the same rate as they were designed to (like in Halo Xbox).

By default in Halo PC and CE, the object respawn times are "stretched" from a 0 to 10 seconds range for some reason. From reversing the code, respawn timers looks like this:

actual_respawn_rate = object_respawn_rate + floor((netgame_equipment_number / total_netgame_equipments) * 300) ticks.

For example; if there are total 37 netgame equipments, and an equipment is #6 in the netgame equipments list, and it's original respawn rate is 900 ticks (30 sec), then the real respawn rate will be 900 + floor((6 / 37.0f) * 300.0f) = 900 + 48 = 948 ticks ~ 31,6s. The above command fixes this behavior, so objects respawn in the rate as it's defined in the map.

For the less mathematically-inclined, would you willing to draw a comparison between this method and the one used in your script? @NeX

Some players have reported that drift is still present. I haven't put aside the time to test it myself yet (since your script includes the on-screen timer <3 ), but from a theoretical standpoint, do you see any issues with it? Pros/cons of using sehe's method vs. your script? Not trying to start anything here, I'm genuinely curious about the differences between the methods used,

Edited by stunt_man