Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeX

Global Item Spawn Replacement Script

37 posts in this topic

Oh good, stunt got to it before I saw this.

Yeah, the original game displayed console text based on framerates, which means that if you are "out of sync", it does that stuttering. It also would occasionally put the text halfway up the screen.  I think stunt_man and I spent 3 or 4 hours jumping between video settings and servers before we finally nailed down that it was caused by the framerate stuff.  It worked with no hac2 in (unacceptable) and if you had hac2, you had to enable vsync or cap at 30fps or some other garbage to get it to work.

It was weird because unbeknownst to me I already had the fix from a while ago, so it always worked fine for me, but his first reaction to testing it was like "dude wtf this is terrible" lol.

Asked btcc22, he said the hac.dll patch actually decoupled the framerate and console text display function, so it would work regardless of video settings after that.

The same thing happened to 002's sprint meter script, since they use virtually identical methods of constantly printing to console to give the illusion of a static display, which made me shift from looking at the script to the game itself as the source of the issue.

Anyway, stupid anecdote, glad he got you set up and hope it's working for you.

This is fixed by an un-released add-on for HAC2. Btcc22 has said that he will push it to everyone (eventually). For now, I've attached it to this reply.

Simply place hac.dll in your Halo Custom Edition root directory (the folder that contains haloce.exe). All players will need to use this fix or they will experience the same bug with the timer.

attachicon.gifhac.zip

I'm going to add it to the OP really quick to avoid this in the future

Edited by NeX
stunt_man likes this

KsqHutE.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I reached out to Btcc22 to try to get him to push that fix to everyone. Until then your timer script's adoption rate will probably suffer a bit.

I have an idea for another script that involves printing to console. How complicated/feasible would it be to add another line above the clock in the bottom right? I don't need a how-to, I just want to know whether it's going to be a huge pain the ass before I propose the new script idea to one of the scripters in the Discord group.

Edited by stunt_man

I mean, all of it is printed at the same time - every line, top to bottom, with the clock being the last thing to get printed. So adding something in would be trivial. As long as you aren't trying to print a ton of stuff there shouldn't be any sync problems.

stunt_man likes this

KsqHutE.png

I mean, all of it is printed at the same time - every line, top to bottom, with the clock being the last thing to get printed. So adding something in would be trivial. As long as you aren't trying to print a ton of stuff there shouldn't be any sync problems.

Cool that's good to hear.

Hey NeX,

So my server crashes with only your script loaded on Rat Race when it resets after 15 seconds. Any ideas of how I can troubleshoot further? It crashes at map reset every time, like clockwork.

Thanks

Hey NeX,

So my server crashes with only your script loaded on Rat Race when it resets after 15 seconds. Any ideas of how I can troubleshoot further? It crashes at map reset every time, like clockwork.

Thanks

Makes me wonder if a recent SAPP update is at fault. Looks like SAPP hasn't updated since November 2015.

Something else has to be going on - something has changed between it working and now (obviously).

It's never had that problem before, and I tested on RR almost exclusively because of the floating powerups in the ceiling. In fact you were in there a few of those times when I was working the kinks out.

You need to take a close look at what specific versions of RR you're running or if it's a new gametype/weapontype setting. It's entirely possible that it breaks under some setting that should work fine - but isn't. 

However again, some catalyst exposed this bug (assuming it is one), and finding out what that was will actually do a lot for diagnosing the bug itself.

Afraid I can't do much for you atm, I'll be booked up with work all day today.

You can put a print statement before and after each function call to figure out where it's de-railing, but that only helps you if you have access to the actual console. Maybe using 002's remote console app would be a good idea here for debugging.

Just print things like this:

code code code code

ScriptStartFunctionOrWhateverItsCalled(arguments and shit){

print("Started Function")

DoSomethingFancy()

print("Did Something Fancy")

MapReset()

print("Reset the Map")

}

It may be that the map reset is simply a coincidence - it could be crashing upon the first spawn of items after the reset, or something like that. The more you find out, the faster it can be fixed.

Edited by NeX
stunt_man likes this

KsqHutE.png

Makes me wonder if a recent SAPP update is at fault. Looks like SAPP hasn't updated since November 2015.

Something else has to be going on - something has changed between it working and now (obviously).

It's never had that problem before, and I tested on RR almost exclusively because of the floating powerups in the ceiling. In fact you were in there a few of those times when I was working the kinks out.

You need to take a close look at what specific versions of RR you're running or if it's a new gametype/weapontype setting. It's entirely possible that it breaks under some setting that should work fine - but isn't. 

However again, some catalyst exposed this bug (assuming it is one), and finding out what that was will actually do a lot for diagnosing the bug itself.

Afraid I can't do much for you atm, I'll be booked up with work all day today.

You can put a print statement before and after each function call to figure out where it's de-railing, but that only helps you if you have access to the actual console. Maybe using 002's remote console app would be a good idea here for debugging.

Just print things like this:

code code code code

ScriptStartFunctionOrWhateverItsCalled(arguments and shit){

print("Started Function")

DoSomethingFancy()

print("Did Something Fancy")

MapReset()

print("Reset the Map")

}

It may be that the map reset is simply a coincidence - it could be crashing upon the first spawn of items after the reset, or something like that. The more you find out, the faster it can be fixed.

Thanks I'm going to be setting up a VM to host a vanilla server to troubleshoot other issues I'm having and I'll add this to the list.

FYI: Michelle is developing a way to get a talking timer to work based off this script. Will post in here when done. It will tie in with a map script and use weapons to sync. More than that I don't know.

FYI: Michelle is developing a way to get a talking timer to work based off this script. Will post in here when done. It will tie in with a map script and use weapons to sync. More than that I don't know.

.....what?

stunt_man likes this

KsqHutE.png

Just occurred to me you meant "talking" like, actual audio files playing. Yeah, that should work - it does have to sync with the server though, since the timing wouldn't be accurate otherwise.

I was going to do something similar for messages like "Rocket Launcher spawns in 15 seconds" and "RL is in play", etc. I kinda just dropped halo like a bad habit though, so I never got around to it.  I have a decent microphone though if Michelle needs any clips like that recorded. I don't have a very deep voice, but I like to think it's not....unpleasant?

I'd be curious to see what kind of delay (if noticeable at all) there is between the audio file playback and the displayed console text. 

KsqHutE.png

Just occurred to me you meant "talking" like, actual audio files playing. Yeah, that should work - it does have to sync with the server though, since the timing wouldn't be accurate otherwise.

I was going to do something similar for messages like "Rocket Launcher spawns in 15 seconds" and "RL is in play", etc. I kinda just dropped halo like a bad habit though, so I never got around to it.  I have a decent microphone though if Michelle needs any clips like that recorded. I don't have a very deep voice, but I like to think it's not....unpleasant?

I'd be curious to see what kind of delay (if noticeable at all) there is between the audio file playback and the displayed console text.

Actually the timer that we're going use is a brand-new scripted one that uses Cortana's voice from Windows 10. You can hear it in this video of an upcoming mod for Xbox:

On Xbox it's just a matter of applying a map script to play the sounds at given times (since all players load the map at the same time), but on PC, as we both know, it's much more complicated than that. Michelle will be piggybacking off your script to spawn invisible weapons in the map that emit the talking timer sounds with a large sound radius. For optimization, a map script continuously deletes these invisible weapons.

That's the jist of it anyway.