What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
NeX

Global Item Spawn Replacement Script

38 posts in this topic

Hello!

I really enjoy this project. It finally turned Halo PC into a more stable and competitive game.

The only issue that I have with it is that is looks like it was made with slayer in mind. Whenever I try to change the gametype to CTF/King, the entire map gets a weapon placement overhaul. I tried to 'fix' this manually in the scripts, but I have no knowledge in Lua whatsoever and, therefore, a solution was not found. By what I could learn from your documentation, it looks like the script blocks certain weapons from spawning according to their gametype (0-15). This kills some game combinations to me and my friends, such as CTF on Wizard (we hate the rocket laucher in the center) and KotH on Derelict (seeing that no weapons/powerups spawn other than plasma nades). The main problem I have here is King, because nearly nothing spawns in the map when this is the selected gametype.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to make it so that every single gametype forces the same weapon layout seen in slayer.

Thanks in advance

Tiddy-bits:

NeX hasn't been around for a while, but if someone else wants to tackle this, I'll chip in some raffle tickets on your behalf.

@giraffe @aLTis

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

On 22/12/2016 at 11:19 AM, SpaceFunction said:

Hello!

I really enjoy this project. It finally turned Halo PC into a more stable and competitive game.

The only issue that I have with it is that is looks like it was made with slayer in mind. Whenever I try to change the gametype to CTF/King, the entire map gets a weapon placement overhaul. I tried to 'fix' this manually in the scripts, but I have no knowledge in Lua whatsoever and, therefore, a solution was not found. By what I could learn from your documentation, it looks like the script blocks certain weapons from spawning according to their gametype (0-15). This kills some game combinations to me and my friends, such as CTF on Wizard (we hate the rocket laucher in the center) and KotH on Derelict (seeing that no weapons/powerups spawn other than plasma nades). The main problem I have here is King, because nearly nothing spawns in the map when this is the selected gametype.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to make it so that every single gametype forces the same weapon layout seen in slayer.

Thanks in advance

Haven't check in here in awhile, but NeX's script (which was truly an impressive techinical feat and groundbreaking at the time) is now obsolete. SAPP now has a command called disable_timer_offsets that, when enabled in SAPP's init.txt, fixes the problem addressed by NeX's script, regardless of gametype. It seems to be much cleaner and item times remain accurate.

The functionality that was lost includes was the grace period at the beginning of the match and the on-screen timer. The benefit of using this method vs NeX's script: more stable server performance (I was experiencing seemingly random crashes all the time when using NeX's script),proper compatibility with floating powerups, and longer more accurate spawn times in long games (after the 30 minute mark). 

This lost funcationality can be restored though. Kavawuvi has since released a script that syncs "item time" with sv_map_reset (see attached full_reset.lua) and yet another script that adds some HUD elements (console output) including talking timer, teammate spawn countdown, and teammate pickup notifications for powerups/rockets (see attached team_info.lua). A grace period can be added manually by using SAPP's event system to simply display a countdown in chat to all players at the beginning of a match, leading into a "sv_map_reset". Personally I prefer the more graceful method of using SAPP's event system to force "gamespeed 0" (requires players to have HAC2, not sure what happens for players that don't have HAC2) for the first 15 seconds of a match, and display a countdown to all players, leading into a "gamespeed 1" when the match is to start.

team_info.lua

full_reset.lua

@Tucker933 

Edited by stunt_man

Actually I wanted to tag you and 002 but for some reason it wouldn't let me do two consecutive tags? Anyway just thought it'd be worth clearing up any lingering confusion about NeX's script and fixing the item time offsets. The above configuration is what I use in my servers and it's been working well.

Also you said something about raffle tickets but I wanted to say, send them to... Kavawuvi's doppleganger ;)

Just now, stunt_man said:

Actually I wanted to tag you and 002 but for some reason it wouldn't let me do two consecutive tags? Anyway just thought it'd be worth clearing up any lingering confusion about NeX's script and fixing the item time offsets. The above configuration is what I use in my servers and it's been working well.

Also you said something about raffle tickets but I wanted to say, send them to... Kavawuvi's doppleganger ;)

Just add a space after putting in a tag and you can do it again. I wouldn't know anything about SAPP scripting, though.

002 is a staff member, so he doesn't qualify for raffle tickets, and that's not how they're earned anyway. =p

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Just now, Tucker933 said:

Just add a space after putting in a tag and you can do it again. I wouldn't know anything about SAPP scripting, though.

002 is a staff member, so he doesn't qualify for raffle tickets, and that's not how they're earned anyway. =p

Ah well. Anyway it's thanks to him that I'm able to achieve equivalent (and better) results without NeX's script on my servers. I hope the info I posted above will be useful to anyone look to host this sort of thing.

Kavawuvi likes this