Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Windows 10

29 posts in this topic

<snip>

According to your processor's specs in Intel ARK, you can use 32GB of non-ECC DDR3L (note the L) RAM with an i7-4710MQ. If your laptop is in good shape and you don't care about your warranty but just want more RAM, you're probably better off upgrading your laptop's RAM than actually buying a new laptop, unless your manufacturer did an Apple and solder the RAM onto the motherboard or made the RAM otherwise difficult to reach. Note that laptop RAM (SODIMM) is not the same as desktop RAM (usually DIMM, though Macs and NUCs use SODIMM too), and the RAM modules you need for 32GB will be dependent on the number of SODIMM slots in your laptop if you want to go through with this.<snip>

While I know this is the case (that my processor can take 32GB of RAM, I only have 3 DIMM slots, therefore, I can only have a max of 24GB, unless I can install a 16GB module in one of them, but I doubt that is possible.  There is 2 SO DIMM slots under the back cover on the bottom and one SO DIMM slot under the keyboard.  Totaling 3.

1000_______07_w370ss_front_left_closed_4

1000_______05_w370ss_back_left_447.png

This is my system...

**EDIT**  Added pictures.

Edited by Thomas

“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein

"For every action has is an equal and opposite reaction". - Sir Isaac Newton
"In honor there is hope" - Alaska State Troopers

=DN= The Dark Nexus Multi-Gaming Clan

SrrF26y.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

While I know this is the case (that my processor can take 32GB of RAM, I only have 3 DIMM slots, therefore, I can only have a max of 24GB, unless I can install a 16GB module in one of them, but I doubt that is possible.

Ouch. That's really weird. Then again, laptops are really weird.

edit: I looked on that site and I just can't seem to find a laptop that looks like that. The ones on the front page are at least advertised as a maximum of 32GB. Maybe you're using an older laptop?

This is probably not the place to be talking about laptops, before we get off-topic here. :/

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

Unless the slot under the keyboard can take a 16GB module, I don't see how it can...

“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein

SrrF26y.png

"8GB of RAM ought to be enough for anybody"

--me, 2016

That's true for 32-bit operating system.(Tucker is right, whoops!) Some games, in 64-bit programs, now required at least 6GB of RAM available. For perfect example, 7 Days to Die. Instead of 8GB, I recommended 16GB+ of RAM for gamers, programmers, and some sort of tool engineering use. Windows OS (at least 7) plus other third-party system apps uses around 2GB of RAM.

Edited by RadWolfie

Poor me... My Samsung Galaxy S5 only has 2GB :(

If only I could extend that to perhaps 4GB that would be cool.

SrrF26y.png