Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a booger

Stop Vehicle Blocking

13 posts in this topic

I would like to ask if there is a script to fill this niche, and if not, could one be developed?  The issue is that people fill up bases and caves, park on portals, etc., (such as in BloodGulch, for instance) with vehicles.  At the moment, if we admins are lucky enough to be in-game at the time, we go through the gyrations of having to figure out who the perpatrator is, warn them accordingly and then potentially start up a whole hornets nest of bad feelings from the player.  Hopefully they see our texts, or even understand English (lol).  We warn them not to "stuff" vehicles and kick them if they continue.

I am definately now evolving from the "carry a stick" approach in admining servers (very time intensive and increases negative player interactions too) to developing a more proactive "server self administration" approach by implementing more creative ways to automatically keep the peace in the server and avert problems before they even get started.

What I am looking for is a way to identify areas in maps (bases, caves, portals, etc.) so that when a player deposits a vehicle in one of these areas, it will automatically respawn in a determined and definable amount of time, say 5, 10 seconds.  Instead of chasing down the offender and texting, then kicking, having them come back and curse the admin, and then banning them, this cuts to the heart of the matter by making it simply a waste of time for the offender to stuff the vehicles in the first place.  Problem averted, no offender in the first place, everyone is happy, no one has to go through the unpleasantries of being warned/kicked/banned.

Is there already something out there, and if not, can someone develop such a script.  I think the important thing is to make the coordinates of the defined areas user-definable, and make the respawn time also user-definable, so as to allow the individual admins flexability in setting these values.

Let me know.  Thanks

WaeV likes this

Tiddy-bits:

Thanks for the obvious suggestion, lol.  Consider the following though: 1) If a player stuffs a base or cave with vehicles it unfortunately circumvents Halo's normal respawn, so for the whole game, you get a tangled mess that never clears.  Noobs know this and take advantage of it.  2) you may already have specified a respawn for the map, or you may not otherwise want a respawn at all -- this is only to keep the bases and caves or other specified areas clean.

Did you want a script that respawns vehicles if they have been in the same spot for too long while being unoccupied, or do you want a script that lets you define an area and have it respawn the vehicle in X amount of seconds.

NeX likes this

Did you want a script that respawns vehicles if they have been in the same spot for too long while being unoccupied, or do you want a script that lets you define an area and have it respawn the vehicle in X amount of seconds.

should definitely be option 2, since it would eliminate base camping in the vehicle as well. Death island and Sidewinder with a rocket hog in the back of the base leaps to mind...

Although I'm not sure what would happen if a vehicle was forced to respawn with a passenger/driver. Would it be best to just delete that vehicle and then respawn the original? Or is that what you would do by "force respawning" anyway?

I gues my question is, by "force respawn" are you teleporting the existing object to its original spawn location, or are you deleting the object then creating a new one at the original spawn point?

Edited by NeX

KsqHutE.png

I gues my question is, by "force respawn" are you teleporting the existing object to its original spawn location, or are you deleting the object then creating a new one at the original spawn point?

I'm actually making Halo think it needs to respawn now, adjusting its respawn timer to a negative number and causing Halo to respawn it.

WaeV and NeX like this

I'm actually making Halo think it needs to respawn now, adjusting its respawn timer to a negative number and causing Halo to respawn it.

Thats pretty slick. I still don't know the exact way that's handled though, so I'm gonna ask the exact same question as above, only I'm gonna shift it to "how does the GAME do that" :P

Is it just moving coords, or delete/create?

KsqHutE.png

Thanks for considering this request.  Basically, I'm with option 2 as well.  However, I don't know about respawning a vehicle if someone is actively in it; after all, the initial idea was simply to prevent stuffing bases, caves, portals, or other choke points as defined by the admin. 

If you are going to essentially kill off a camper in a vehicle, it's not much of a stretch to kill campers in general.  I don't really have a problem with campers in or out of vehicles.  I agree that they are a challenge to deal with, but if you're good enough, or if you attack with strategy, you can still play the game.  A rats nest of vehicles that can't otherwise respawn and prevents one team from being able to get the flag altogether is quite frustrating though, and could result in players quitting the game - kinda ruins it for everyone.  I should note, I rarely get a complaint about camping (other than the occassional "noob" comment, lol), but I always hear it when someone starts stuffing the bases.

However, if it could be an option of the script that can be turned on or off as an implementation choice by the admin, it could not hurt.

BTW, good to see you NeX.

I should clarify something.  The area definition(s) may incorporate one or more "areas" on a map, i.e., red base, blue base, red cave, blue cave, red portal, blue portal, etc.  May be more areas, may be less, as defined by the admin.

Edited by a booger
NeX and WaeV like this

you could always put a contingency condition where if the vehicle that is "stuffed" and is about to be respawned has a player in it, you just force them out of it and then respawn it anyway.

If you don't mind vehicles camping IN the base, but only when it gets to be  ridiculous amounts of them, then a simple check for how many are there, and an "allowed" amount within those locations would be a good idea.

Maybe have the location be "BG red base", and let, say, 1 vehicle at a time be in the base without it being an issue. If there are more than that, then (handle conditions).

That way just getting to the base in a vehicle and abandoning it, or camping waiting for the opposite team's flag carrier to bring your flag to their base isn't going to cause problems.

KsqHutE.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0