Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Stable Lead

27 posts in this topic

This script forces players to lead a certain ping (33 by default) using the clead command. Players that have a ping that is higher than the set ping will lead from that ping instead, and players that have a lower ping will lead from whatever ping they currently have. The script was a requested feature on the SAPP site, so it may be possible that this script will be added as a feature. Note that no-lead must be enabled for this script to work.

Download (SAPP): stable_lead.lua

Note: This script may not work on versions newer than SAPP 9.5. Versions between 9.0 and 9.5 should work, though anything before 9.5 may requiring editing the api_version variable to the appropriate version (1.7.0.0 if 9.0, 1.8.0.0 if 9.2).

iNTERFACE, NeX and WaeV like this

Tiddy-bits:

That's... worded a bit weird. What do you mean by leading? It sounds like a script that makes it so I don't have to aim 20 feet ahead of someone with 500 ping on bloodgulch.

No. It forces you to lead from a certain ping rather than from a ping of 0 as an alternative to no-lead.

So how does it benefit a ping like mine on US servers? I average about 267 compared to less than 100 of most players.

The only advantage it would give you is that you only need to overcompensate your aiming as much as someone with only 33ms of ping on vanilla Halo.

For example, a player is walking exactly tangent to your line of sight, and you are going to shoot them with a pistol.

Constants:
Halo's timing is around 30 ticks per second, so 1/30 seconds per tick * 1s * 1000ms/s = 33 + 1/3 ms or ~33.3ms.
One world unit (the distance between 0,0,0 and 0,0,1) is equal to 3 meters.
The pistol bullet speed is 10 world units per second, or 30 meters per second.
The player's maximum running speed on a flat surface is 2.25 world units per second, or 6.75 meters per second.

Variables:
Let's assume the worst case scenario, where Halo's input lag forces you to wait one tick (~33.3ms) before you can fire.
Let's also assume your ping is 267ms. To round it up to the nearest tick: ceil(267ms * 30 ticks per second) / 30 ticks per second = 0.3 seconds.
Let's also assume that your target is 60 meters away and is moving at maximum running speed on a flat surface. ceil(60/30) = 2, which means it will take 2 additional ticks before the bullet will reach the player, or ~66.6ms.
Let's also assume that you are standing still.

Time until your bullet hits your target = ~33.3ms + ~66.6ms + 0.3 seconds = 0.4 seconds.
Lead required for a direct hit without bullet magnetism on vanilla Halo = 0.4 seconds * 6.75 meters per second = 2.700 meters
Lead required for a direct hit without bullet magnetism with no-lead enabled = (0.4 seconds - 0.3 seconds) * 6.75 meters per second = 0.675 meters
Lead required for a direct hit without bullet magnetism with lead forced at 33ms = (0.4 seconds - 0.3 seconds + ceil(33ms * 30 ticks per second) / 30 ticks per second) * 6.75 meters per second = 0.900 meters

You're going to still be at a disadvantage at a higher ping due to an increased latency for you to react to something, but you don't have to aim any farther than anyone else. I'm not an expert on this, so there may be some variables I could have possibly missed. It's just a rough estimate.

Krazychic and Vuthakral like this

Has anyone tried setting it to something other than 33ms? Still feels a little generous.

@002 Also, I noticed you say "direct hit without bullet magnetism": is that the same as playing with a controller and using player_magnetism 1 (on by default)?

Has anyone tried setting it to something other than 33ms? Still feels a little generous.

@002 Also, I noticed you say "direct hit without bullet magnetism": is that the same as playing with a controller and using player_magnetism 1 (on by default)?

You can set it higher by editing the value at the top of the script. Just note that players with lower ping than what you set it to will play at their ping.

Bullet magnetism is a bit different from aiming magnetism, as it's handled by the server. Whenever you fire a bullet and it goes near a target, and you are close enough to the target, then the bullet will hit that target. Bullet magnetism doesn't work on allies, which is why it's slightly harder to betray players.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0