What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Risk

Feasibility of user-made Fallout 4 Multiplayer

Regarding Bethesda's two big franchises, the Elder Scrolls series and Fallout, they have always focused on making a fully fledged singleplayer experience; a virtual world to delve in. Some could say this is good, as it allows the developers to create a more open and in depth space to explore in with focus on the gameplay. However, could it be possible for users to unlock the engine and create some form of multiplayer?

Let us take a look back at the first truly "3D" RPG Bethesda made, Morrowind. A LAN mod that seems to have been around a while resurfaces on this message board, though this is a far cry from future versions of Gamebryo and the Creation engines. Allows six person play through Hamachi.

For Oblivion, there's a mod that allows two-player local play on a single PC, however, this obviously wouldn't be what I'd want to play.

The most popular Fallout 3 multiplayer mod seems to be Vault-Tec Multiplayer; this seems to be more of a program that allows modification through scripting, rather than a straight forward co-op or versus mode.

Finally, we have a mod for Skyrim, which seems to be the most developed out of all of them, allowing multiple players to connect through LAN on different servers. Still not complete.

So my question is, what would entail making an entire multiplayer for a singleplayer only game? They did it for Just Cause 2, it seems. Would it be possible with Fallout 4? Share ideas and opinions.

Edited by Risk

xgd0s9.jpg

Tiddy-bits:

So my question is, what would entail making an entire multiplayer for a singleplayer only game?

Probably years of work. I don't expect a rudimentary working MP mod anytime soon (that means in the first ~2 years). And if it comes, it probably lacks certain features from the original game (e.g. VATS).

But I don't think it is impossible.

Fallout 4 uses the Creation engine, same as Skyrim; if it's possible for Skyrim, it's possible for Fallout 4.

I would never play something that required Hamachi though. It's essentially malware.

Skeezix the Cat, swamp and Pfhunkie like this

Umh7x1l.gif

I would never play something that required Hamachi though. It's essentially malware.

I....what?

I've never heard that before. I did some sleuthing but never found anything but anecdotal crap from kiddies who used it with people they didn't know and then had computer issues.

None of the resolutions showed any direct Hamachi issue though...

http://hamachi.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests

Says it's clean...

I mean, I get why using a VPN tunnel with unknown people would be sketchy, but I seriously doubt such a simple program is really to blame for any issues.

That's like people blaming uTorrent because they got a virus from a P2P transfer or something.

Hamachi is just a tool. If  you smash your foot with a hammer, don't blame the hammer

Tiamat likes this

KsqHutE.png

I haven't followed the Skyrim multiplayer. Did they finally make it to where everyone isn't a naked nord? 

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I haven't followed the Skyrim multiplayer. Did they finally make it to where everyone isn't a naked nord?

Pretty sure that's the best feature
Risk and Skeezix the Cat like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

I don't know if Just Cause 2 multiplayer counts though. They recreated the sandbox but didn't actually fill it with NPCs or military or anything. I might be talking out of my ass though.

Also "that will be $60 to play using this multiplayer mod that someone made, thank you"

I....what?

I've never heard that before. I did some sleuthing but never found anything but anecdotal crap from kiddies who used it with people they didn't know and then had computer issues.

None of the resolutions showed any direct Hamachi issue though...

http://hamachi.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests

Says it's clean...

I mean, I get why using a VPN tunnel with unknown people would be sketchy, but I seriously doubt such a simple program is really to blame for any issues.

That's like people blaming uTorrent because they got a virus from a P2P transfer or something.

Hamachi is just a tool. If  you smash your foot with a hammer, don't blame the hammer

There is no way to close the program without ending the process manually, which right off the bat puts it off my list of programs I'd ever use.

Beyond that, once the process is stopped, it will sporadically restart itself automatically. The tunneling service persists even when the process is ended, and open tunnels persist even through computer restarts. I don't call it malware necessarily meaning malicious software, but malware as in malformed software.

You can blame the hammer if it automatically starts swinging and there is no clear way to stop it besides getting rid of it. It might be different by now, but I used it in 2011 and have not thought about even trying to use it since then.

Edited by TCK
Skeezix the Cat and NeX like this

Umh7x1l.gif

Probably years of work. I don't expect a rudimentary working MP mod anytime soon (that means in the first ~2 years). And if it comes, it probably lacks certain features from the original game (e.g. VATS).

But I don't think it is impossible.

The guy that made the Skyrim multiplayer mod had it semi-working on week one of development. Which is FAR more progress than the "Skyrim Online" (not the same thing) mod ever got within two years.

I've talked to him about open-sourcing it on Reddit a few months back, in case he doesn't want to port it to FO4.

There is no way to close the program without ending the process manually, which right off the bat puts it off my list of programs I'd ever use.

Beyond that, once the process is stopped, it will sporadically restart itself automatically. The tunneling service persists even when the process is ended, and open tunnels persist even through computer restarts. I don't call it malware necessarily meaning malicious software, but malware as in malformed software.

You can blame the hammer if it automatically starts swinging and there is no clear way to stop it besides getting rid of it. It might be different by now, but I used it in 2011 and have not thought about even trying to use it since then.

I don't have any of these problems afaik.

Doldrums.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0