What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Windows 10 Secretly Tried To Install Itself On Computers

26 posts in this topic

I'm just waiting for a generation to finally say as a majority, "hey wait, maybe I don't want software that by default sends my data to a company, or a CPU that uses backdoored firmware."

Until then, we're stuck with these huge companies as our only viable options, meaning they can get away with basically whatever they want as long as they have at least a flimsy excuse every time. ("Oh it's a bug, guys, haha. It's just a prank, bro!")

Well that's right but can you really ignore some thing really good because of those stuffs lol

But that's the thing, it worked flawlessly on mine for months

, then didn't. Might have been a duff update or something?

Well why didn't you try safe mode and see what driver been updated? or you can check now and see what part of your HW had problems with a new driver

Then MS can do without those possible users, I for one won't be upgrading. I didn't like Win8/8.1 and I don't like Win10. If MS is going to force it, I'll just migrate what systems I have left using Windows, to Linux. 

What MS does with the data isn't the point, it's the mass invasion of privacy. The NSA collects mass data, but states that it only uses what it finds to track and monitor terrorists, but I certainly don't want my data collected, regardless of how many good intentions the road is paved with along the way.

Lets also not forget CISA, which encourages companies that have collected data on it's users/customers to share it open ended with the government, because that's always a good thing.

Personally i wont mind collecting data if it's for a good cause. but some ppl might not like well then those ppl will have a hard time using this devices

L_HQGtwlN3Kqcxib.jpg

poqdavid.png

Tiddy-bits:

Then MS can do without those possible users, I for one won't be upgrading. I didn't like Win8/8.1 and I don't like Win10. If MS is going to force it, I'll just migrate what systems I have left using Windows, to Linux.

Telemetry updates have been pushed to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 as well I believe. https://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

FWIW telemetry is just basic statistics about boot time and such, it is not really tracking user behavior. This guy did an analysis of what is sent: http://blog.robseder.com/2015/08/16/whats-the-real-deal-with-windows-10-and-privacy/

That said, I agree with the principle of knowing what goes into your software sausage. Unfortunately fully open software stacks are rare, because consumers want features over free software principles.

On the other hand, open-source does not mean more secure. Having the source code means that you could read it yourself in theory, but the Linux kernel is 15 million lines of code and growing -- good luck digging through that. (And that's just the kernel! It doesn't include drivers, window managers, common user software, etc.)

I'm excited to try using OpenBSD because they are committed to code quality. The codebase is small. It's security-oriented. And they are continually auditing it for bugs, instead of just assuming someone else will find the problems for them. Lack of adequate documentation is considered a bug. They think about code readability.

Taking such a hard-line stance on security is not for everyone, and tbh I think Windows is a good option for most folks. (They started emphasizing security in 2002, and they're pretty decent at it these days.) The worst of both worlds is running all these random "Fix Ur Windoze" apps from the internet. Why is it that people aren't willing to trust Microsoft, but are willing to trust some anonymous developer from the internet? That could be installing ALL kinds of nasty shit without you noticing a thing.

Android has awful security, by the way. It's the Windows XP of today in more ways than one.

Well that's right but can you really ignore some thing really good because of those stuffs lol

Well why didn't you try safe mode and see what driver been updated? or you can check now and see what part of your HW had problems with a new driver

Personally i wont mind collecting data if it's for a good cause. but some ppl might not like well then those ppl will have a hard time using this devices

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. 

MS may have noble and good intentions, but with legislation like CISA, that changes the entire premise. I'm also not keen on anything I do being monitored, recorded, or collected. 

Telemetry updates have been pushed to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 as well I believe. https://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

FWIW telemetry is just basic statistics about boot time and such, it is not really tracking user behavior. This guy did an analysis of what is sent: http://blog.robseder.com/2015/08/16/whats-the-real-deal-with-windows-10-and-privacy/

That said, I agree with the principle of knowing what goes into your software sausage. Unfortunately fully open software stacks are rare, because consumers want features over free software principles.

On the other hand, open-source does not mean more secure. Having the source code means that you could read it yourself in theory, but the Linux kernel is 15 million lines of code and growing -- good luck digging through that. (And that's just the kernel! It doesn't include drivers, window managers, common user software, etc.)

I'm excited to try using OpenBSD because they are committed to code quality. The codebase is small. It's security-oriented. And they are continually auditing it for bugs, instead of just assuming someone else will find the problems for them. Lack of adequate documentation is considered a bug. They think about code readability.

Taking such a hard-line stance on security is not for everyone, and tbh I think Windows is a good option for most folks. (They started emphasizing security in 2002, and they're pretty decent at it these days.) The worst of both worlds is running all these random "Fix Ur Windoze" apps from the internet. Why is it that people aren't willing to trust Microsoft, but are willing to trust some anonymous developer from the internet? That could be installing ALL kinds of nasty shit without you noticing a thing.

Android has awful security, by the way. It's the Windows XP of today in more ways than one.

Telem data can't be used to directly track someone, but it can be used in conjunction with other data to provide detailed information. When I was finagling around the Hidden Services on Tor a few years back, one of the ways a target was picked by nefarious their parties was using data provide by the browser user agent string, data like screen resolution, OS, browser version, Webkit, ect... while that data couldn't directly ID a particular person/system, it could be used in conjunction with internet traffic patterns and other data. 

It's no different that the government collecting metadata, which itself isn't detailed or compromising, but can be used to obtain more data that is both. I've used metadata in photos to find people. Last year, a photo of store package meat was floating to illustrate the rising price in meats. It made it's way onto a forum a frequent, most people took it at face value, but some noticed a discrepancy with the date layout, which led to claims of photoshopping. 

I did some digging. The date format layout was using UTC date formatting for a region of Canada and was regulated by a regional authority for meat sales on reservations. The I used an EXIF data viewer, using what I found, to confirm the origin of the photo I then used Tineye, finding the photo originated from a Facebook profile as a mobile upload (which matched the EXIF data listing it as taken with an Android phone) taken by an Inuit man, that was complaining about the rising price of imported meats on the island reservation his tribe inhabited. 

I've given OpenBSD some thought myself.

WaeV likes this

Well i say even if you ignore all this your data is going to be collected in some way like from your internet connection or even how you trust your modem

L_HQGtwlN3Kqcxib.jpg

poqdavid.png

Well i say even if you ignore all this your data is going to be collected in some way like from your internet connection or even how you trust your modem

Which still does not justify the mass invasion of privacy. I'm also not naive enough to think my data isn't being monitored in other ways...I'm actually rather familiar with how it's done. 

POQDavid likes this

Which still does not justify the mass invasion of privacy. I'm also not naive enough to think my data isn't being monitored in other ways...I'm actually rather familiar with how it's done. 

Well i hope Microsoft stops doing this crazy stuffs

L_HQGtwlN3Kqcxib.jpg

poqdavid.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0