Followers 0
Krazychic

Sandwich or Roll?

33 posts in this topic

This is a sandwich:

10wmofk.jpg

This is a roll:

68ws48.jpg

After discussing this article http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/national-hot-dog-council-has-spoken-a-hot-dog-is-not-a-sandwich/ar-CC2FdE?ocid=ansmsnnews11 a debate arose as to which is the correct term for a bun type bread being filled with ingredients.

To me, two pieces of flat bread make a sandwich regardless of what it is filled with and a rounded bun is called a roll.  The type of roll eg. hoagie or hero is just that, a name.  If you sliced a vienna loaf of bread

2dgq88z.jpg

it is a sandwich although if you sliced it from the top to almost the bottom and put a hot dog in it I would call it a roll.

Your thoughts!!

Tiddy-bits:

the second one is a sub

We discussed that also.  I've heard of it as a sub sandwich aka submarine sandwich but it is still a roll of bread, don't you think?

Who cares?

I agree.  I think I find it more interesting purely based on language barrier and interpretation. 

We discussed that also. I've heard of it as a sub sandwich aka submarine sandwich but it is still a roll of bread, don't you think?

i wouldn't call it a roll at all. it's round around the circumference but it's long and flat along the side. it's more akin to a baguette than a roll but even that isn't right. a roll is more like a brötchen (google it)

Skeezix the Cat likes this

This is a sandwich:

10wmofk.jpg

This is a roll:

68ws48.jpg

After discussing this article http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/national-hot-dog-council-has-spoken-a-hot-dog-is-not-a-sandwich/ar-CC2FdE?ocid=ansmsnnews11 a debate arose as to which is the correct term for a bun type bread being filled with ingredients.

To me, two pieces of flat bread make a sandwich regardless of what it is filled with and a rounded bun is called a roll.  The type of roll eg. hoagie or hero is just that, a name.  If you sliced a vienna loaf of bread

2dgq88z.jpg

it is a sandwich although if you sliced it from the top to almost the bottom and put a hot dog in it I would call it a roll.

Your thoughts!!

lol this makes me really hungry

but i say the sub is much better lol

L_HQGtwlN3Kqcxib.jpg

poqdavid.png

By technicality, Krazy is correct, a "sub" in known as a "submarine roll" (Trust me, I'm a native born New Yorker, if we know anything, it's subs, pizza, and hotdogs) and is known by a few names depending on the bread and style roll; hoagie, hero, grinder, wedge, sub, ect...

I generally prefer a sub roll, but I'll take a Ruben, Monty Cristo, or Hot Brown sandwich any day. 

For a quick and dirty, I'll toast my sandwich bread to give it some depth, then apply some lite mayo, and generally prefer ham, but if I've got bacon, then it's turkey. 

Roast beef needs a good hardy roll, like sourdough or ciabatta, nothing worst than a roast beef with floppy, soft sandwich bread...ugh. 

Every chance I get, I stop at Jimmy John's and get a #14 Boot Legger Club, roast beef, turkey, mayo on fresh made bread (I don't do lettuce or tom), a lemonade, and a pickle, I can take or leave the chips, but I gotta have my pickle. Subway is a bastardization of the submarine community. Firehouse is ok, but I prefer my subs cold, Penn Station does hot subs right, Robinhood is probably on par for me with Jimmy John's, but I spent most of my life enjoying subs from Mandy's or Bozzelli's, both same, family run joints, so I'm kinda spoiled and biased. 

xvii and WaeV like this

By technicality, Krazy is correct, a "sub" in known as a "submarine roll" (Trust me, I'm a native born New Yorker, if we know anything, it's subs, pizza, and hotdogs) and is known by a few names depending on the bread and style roll; hoagie, hero, grinder, wedge, sub, ect...

I generally prefer a sub roll, but I'll take a Ruben, Monty Cristo, or Hot Brown sandwich any day.

but that's made using a sub roll, not a roll. a roll is a small round loaf of bread like you have at thanksgiving. or like you can see on google images when you google "roll"

tarikja likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0