What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sceny

Computer Turns Off

33 posts in this topic

So I have a problem that started a few weeks ago, I'll be using my PC (browsing, gaming, fapping, streaming, etc) and it'll just turn off, and then reboot. When it reboots, it says my overclock has failed, and gives me three options - revert to factory settings, revert to last stable settings, and I forgot the last one... This has happened at least 1-3 times a week now for a while.

I replaced my thermal paste around the time it started - I cant remember if it started before or after. Now before I go fucking around inside my case, does anyone think that my thermal paste could be reason for the shut downs?

E: Forgot to mention that its never happened more than once on the same day.

Edited by Sceny

Tiddy-bits:

Now before I go fucking around inside my case, does anyone think that my thermal paste could be reason for the shut downs?

Sure, it could be the reason but have you tried not overclocking your CPU or using the default BIOS settings? Also what are your CPU temps?

Your thermal paste isn't going to be the culprit unless your temperatures are high, so you should run a stress test and see what your temps get up to before leaning that route.

If your temps are fine under load, then clear your CMOS (note your overclock settings for future reference), and see if it still occurs.

NeX likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Your thermal paste isn't going to be the culprit unless your temperatures are high, so you should run a stress test and see what your temps get up to before leaning that route.

If your temps are fine under load, then clear your CMOS (note your overclock settings for future reference), and see if it still occurs.

Just Cleared CMOS, going to give it a week before setting up my overclock again.

Takka likes this

I don't intend on overclocking ever again. The performance gains are just too small for the hassle.

If I were to mess with clock speeds, I might actually underclock so I can lower the voltage and get lower temps / power draw.

NeX likes this

My motherboard was extremely prone to doing that on my previous overclocks. Turns out it was because they were partially unstable. Ever since I actually researched what voltages to mess with and bumped up the right ones instead of random ones, I haven't had it happen since but I also haven't been overclocked for that long this time. More than a week I'd say.

oVoXWXc.png

I forgot to mention this, but I've been running the same settings, untouched since I got the CPU and mobo.

What were your stock clocks and voltages before?

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0