Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StarScream

Advice on accurate night maps

36 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

I did see them both on the BSP, and I didn't notice any differences.

Umh7x1l.gif

Looking at the diff longer, I have to agree with Hamp that Sapien is superior.

QcfzBNY.png

All three of the circled shadows appear on Sapien only. Unless there actually isn't scenery there, Tool totally missed things. (I mean they're kinda there with Tool, but not really.)

I accidentally reversed it when I said it; the first has the Sapien lightmap and the second has the Tool one. I'm guessing that since the lightmaps were actually NAMED Tool and Sapien, that's what you were going by and it didn't mess you up; but I thought I'd mention that, whoops.

Anyway, what about the completely white spots, which are present in Tool's lightmap but not Sapien's? It seems there are just as many as there are black spots, and that they have similar shapes to the black ones. I think all that tells us is that every time you render a lightmap, the sequence of faces is different (or that Sapien and Tool render from different starting points).

More of what makes me think this: if you play the map, the first BSP displays its lightmap correctly because it's the duplicate BSP I used to render them in the first place, and it retained the second lightmap I rendered on it. Switch to the second BSP, the lightmap is shown incorrectly (red and yellow parts are shown on the map) because it is not referred to a lightmap that was rendered upon that file, despite being an identical BSP. This leads me to think that there is some face-sequencing information added when rendering a lightmap.

Edited by TCK
WaeV likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

I'm guessing that since the lightmaps were actually NAMED Tool and Sapien, that's what you were going by and it didn't mess you up

Oh, yes I went by the tag names.

Switch to the second BSP, the lightmap is shown incorrectly (red and yellow parts are shown on the map) because it is not referred to a lightmap that was rendered upon that file, despite being an identical BSP. This leads me to think that there is some face-sequencing information added when rendering a lightmap.

That is weird. I was a little confused why the lightmaps had different transparent areas.

TCK likes this

TCK, did any of your scenery items have lights attached to them?

If not, place some c_torchlight scenery objects across the map and run the two again. Any scenery item with Radiosity (non-dynamic) light properties.

Would do it myself, but no Halo installed so yeah.

Also yeah every time you run lightmaps and there isn't already a .bitmap tag there, the very first thing it does is perform an UV-unwrap on the whole BSP. Will be slightly different each time.

Edited by DeadHamster

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0