What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xvii

Asus ROG GX700: World's first liquid-cooled laptop with 4K IPS LCD

13 posts in this topic

144132896319822.jpg

Asustek Computer has announced the world’s first notebook with liquid cooling. The system is designed for gamers and can deliver performance on-par with high-end gaming desktops. Thanks to unique cooling solution and microprocessor with unlocked multiplier, the Asus ROG GX700 notebook even supports serious overclocking capabilities.

The unique Asus ROG GX700 laptop is powered by quad-core Intel Core i7-6820HK processor (2.70GHz/3.60GHz, 8MB cache) with unlocked multiplier as well as Nvidia GeForce GTX 990M graphics processing unit with 8GB GDDR5 memory. The laptop can be equipped with a solid-state drive, up to 64GB of DDR4 memory and other high-performance components designed to deliver desktop-class performance.

The gaming machine comes with 17” ultra-high-definition 4K (3840*2160) display with IPS panel that supports Nvidia’s G-Sync technology. The water-pump is plugged to the backside of the laptop and can be unplugged if the notebook needs to be transported. Maximum thermal design power that the liquid cooling system can remove from the CPU and the GPU are unknown, but it is highly likely that the total TDP of the laptop can easily exceed 200W.

The Asus ROG GX700 will be available shortly from now. Pricing will vary depending on exact configuration, but it can easily hit $4000 for a high-end config.

Source

WaeV likes this

Tiddy-bits:

I...okay.  That's pretty cool.

I either want this, or I might hold out for Pascal...

Yes, because lugging around that thing is practical. Could that whole setup really fit comfortably into a backpack?

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Yes, because lugging around that thing is practical. Could that whole setup really fit comfortably into a backpack?

I was going to bitch about it too.  But the fact of the matter is that people buy stuff like this, which is why it's made.  That tells me that people must have a use for it.  Sure you could build a God-Tier system and a half for $4000, but some people have enough money that it doesn't matter and others just really don't care about building a stationary desktop.  This product is not meant for people like you and me, that doesn't make it bad.

xvii likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Just because people buy it doesn't mean they have a use for it.

Point is, it's difficult to carry around, which is the entire point of having a laptop instead of a desktop. Money doesn't come into play here.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Just because people buy it doesn't mean they have a use for it.

Point is, it's difficult to carry around, which is the entire point of having a laptop instead of a desktop. Money doesn't come into play here.

Say I love having the qualities, headroom and capability of a liquid cooled desktop and travel a lot. Or say I don't have the skills to build a desktop like that, and I'm more partial to laptops anyway. Or maybe I love PC gaming and bleeding edge technology in general, and like having "the best". I don't agree with this laptop's existence either but that just means I'm not a target customer.

Instead of looking at it as a laptop that sucks at being portable compared to other laptops, look at it as a laptop that rocks at having the performance of a desktop while still easier to take places. Like LAN parties? Sweet gaming rig that doesn't weigh 30 pounds not counting cables and monitor and peripherals? There's a market for that.

xvii likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Your point was that you travel a lot. You're using mobility as the positive. This thing is so bulky I hardly think it's more mobile than a high end mini-ITX.

Basically, if this is a kick ass LAN machine, why not go mini-ITX?

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Your point was that you travel a lot. You're using mobility as the positive. This thing is so bulky I hardly think it's more mobile than a high end mini-ITX.

What is backpack with two compartments? Put the laptop in one place, but the dock/cooler on the other. Done.

What is backpack with two compartments? Put the laptop in one place, but the dock/cooler on the other. Done.

Would that actually fit comfortably in a backpack, though? Really?

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0