What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Inside the world of SSD's

16 posts in this topic

SSD.jpg

Solid-state drives are odd creatures. Though they sound simple in theory, they store some surprisingly complex secrets. For instance, compare an SSD to a traditional magnetic hard drive. A modern multi-terabyte spinning hard disk plays tricks with magnetism and quantum mechanics, results of decades of research and billions of dollars and multiple Nobel Prizes in physics. The drives contain complex moving parts manufactured to extremely tight tolerances, with drive heads moving around just thousandths of a millimeter above platters rotating at thousands of revolutions per minute. A modern solid-state drive performs much more quickly, but it's also a more mundane on the inside, as it's really a hard drive-shaped bundle of NAND flash memory. Simple, right?

Read More...

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

But it's easier to destroy evidence on a HDD <_< I mean if you worry about those kinds of thing>_>

But it's easier to destroy evidence on a HDD <_< I mean if you worry about those kinds of thing>_>

Actually, it's the other way around. If a SSD dies, 90% of the time you will never be able to get any sort of data off of it, let alone if you actually tried to destroy the SSD. With a hard drive, you could delete and item, reformat the whole drive, smash the drive to pieces and then blow torch it, with enough money/resources you could still get your data off of it. A hard drive stores memory very physically, which is why it's so easy to recover from.

SSD's will also lose the information stored on them after a certain amount of time (I've read ~10 years after you put new information on it). If you don't update the drive within that amount of time, the memory will be lost because it loses the electric charge. Fun fact.

(Here comes tucker proving me wrong)

SSD's will also lose the information stored on them after a certain amount of time (I've read ~10 years after you put new information on it). If you don't update the drive within that amount of time, the memory will be lost because it loses the electric charge. Fun fact.

(Here comes tucker proving me wrong)

Correct =]

But seriously, who keeps their drives more than a year anyway =p

If i somehow managed to afford an SSD, it'd need to last me 3 years minimum. I probably couldnt afford to replace it if it died after warrenty. Kinda the same reason i wont waste money on an Intel CPU, if i can help it.

Edited by Sceny
Dante likes this

If i somehow managed to afford an SSD, it'd need to last me 3 years minimum. I probably couldnt afford to replace it if it died after warrenty. Kinda the same reason i wont waste money on an Intel CPU, if i can help it.

This.

This.

You guys know the Sandy Bridge i5 was the world's second best bang for your buck consumer processor for like a year and a half? I don't know if it still is but if the prices have dropped because of Ivy Bridge, it could very well be in first. If not, it's still in the top ten.

oVoXWXc.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0