What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devieth

Something I found in Halo

I was told Sehe has been playing with this as well by someone (he said it was before Xfire died.)

The problem with doing what I did is that causes a sound bug to accrue while standing still (sounds like your master chief just started spinning in circles really fast.) Putting it on a more reasonable setting does not give it this quite nice result.   Another issue is that only YOU (the player) can see it for yourself. This means if another player jumped in front of you while this was enabled, you would still see them lagging everywhere. Setting this to the more reasonable setting does still help with bump lag caused by other players, vehicles, nades, and heavy weapons (like when your shot with the fuel rod and you start warping all over the place.) 

But this is just a cool little thing I wanted to show, but not good to use. The reason being it doesn't sync up other players locations only tells your client where you are better.  Also I was told it makes people with bad internet lag even more. Edited by Devieth

Tiddy-bits:

Definitely a lot less herky-jerky. Should especially help on those no-falling-damage servers when an explosion or vehicle flip sends you flying

KsqHutE.png

Did you increase the frequency of the local player update packet? If you also increase the floating point precision it might warp less

Kavawuvi and WaeV like this

Did you increase the frequency of the local player update packet? If you also increase the floating point precision it might warp less

Yea, If only there was a way to update other players locations faster so you could also see less lag in other players.  But I am going to take a guess that the reason you see other players lag still is because their client doesn't send enough updates which would require a client-side mod to correct that? Correct me if I am wrong.  If so I am not quite sure on how to make the server update it more often.

Edited by Devieth

Halo sends positional updates for other players every 5 seconds or so. It also sends their control mask (i.e. turning, walking, jumping) every tick. Increase those position updates would decrease explosion warp (but will also increase bandwidth requirements)

Realistically, explosions shouldn't cause warp, but there seems to be a bug in the explosion packet. 

WaeV likes this

Halo sends positional updates for other players every 5 seconds or so. It also sends their control mask (i.e. turning, walking, jumping) every tick. Increase those position updates would decrease explosion warp (but will also increase bandwidth requirements)

Realistically, explosions shouldn't cause warp, but there seems to be a bug in the explosion packet. 

Explosions don't always cause lag but a majority of the time it does.  The error is most likely your game thinking you few one direction while the server seen you go another (which no lead made worse by correcting player locations.)

This may be completely wrong, but no lead doesn't correct player locations. It simply temporarily "rewinds" the player locations on the server to detect whether a bullet actually hit a player or not. 

NeX and WaeV like this

This may be completely wrong, but no lead doesn't correct player locations. It simply temporarily "rewinds" the player locations on the server to detect whether a bullet actually hit a player or not. 

Yea, think that is correct but for some reason I seams like its worse on sapp with nolead on.  Ether way the server and your client could see the force caused by explosions differently (with lead and nolead) and the server doesn't send as many updates as it should to correct the issue (so players don't see themselves lag or others.)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0