What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solaris

Windows 10 - Thoughts/Experiences

76 posts in this topic

In addition to that, I found a post that explains it pretty well:

Why not Windows 10?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2373838/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-permission-to-watch-your-every-move

"Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."

"We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/microsoft-s-windows-10-policy-raises-serious-privacy-concerns

The company also adds how agreeing to the the permissions, it is also asserting its right to collect users’ voice data and information about the files users open.

The document goes on to say: "We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing."

"If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/10/06/windows-10-spying/

Yes this is an operating system which can listen to everything you say, read everything you own and track everything you write and click.

http://www.t3.com/news/windows-10-policy-raises-major-privacy-concerns

It's an alarming approach from Microsoft - a privacy advocates worst nightmare.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/07/windows_10_data_collection/

Windows 10's 'built-in keylogger'? Ha ha, says Microsoft – no, it just monitors your typing

YOU said it was OK when you installed that Technical Preview

[When you] enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

Microsoft hasn't said just how many of those typed characters it might collect or how often, but this is in fact something that the Windows 10 Technical Preview might do.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/14/windows-10-unanswered-questions/

‘Windows 10 Home’ users (which will be the vast majority of consumers) have no way of bypassing anything Microsoft wants them to install

I'm not sure how much of the data collection I'd be able to shut down; I know at least with Windows 8.1 that I can shut nearly all (if not absolutely all) of it down. I don't want to risk going up to the next level, only to be disappointed and have to reinstall 8.1 AGAIN for (what would be) the fifth time this year.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

Tiddy-bits:

You can stop Microsoft from collecting most of that from the Settings menu. In fact, I believe Microsoft has a few more privacy options such as how Apps interact with USB's and Webcams.

I actually kinda liked the windows phone when i had one a few years ago. What really put me off was the lack of customization and the shit app store.

And sometime this weekend I'm downgrading myself to greatness of Windows 7.

Yeah, I had a Lumia 800(?) and I enjoyed it... It just lacked apps and had less access for developers to make things like wireless analyzer apps.

Besides that, it's more of a statement on how much I like the new Android's interface and development community rather than a negative thing about Windows Phones. They're great but you have to be more than just great to get me to transition over again.

Kvasir likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

You can stop Microsoft from collecting most of that from the Settings menu. In fact, I believe Microsoft has a few more privacy options such as how Apps interact with USB's and Webcams.

I'm still gonna give it a bit before I decide. Won't be missing out by waiting.

Umh7x1l.gif

Still... does comparing them to Apple really make it seem more trustworthy? They're the ones who started making large efforts to force everything you do onto the cloud.

Obviously Microsoft is going to continue to push their Microsoft Account bullshit, just as Apple pushes their iCloud nonsense, especially when Microsoft blocks around 5% of the legitimate email I want to be receiving on my Microsoft email account. Both have been trying long before Windows 10, and for the most part, I've ignored it.

I compare them because free upgrades are nice if you've already spent a lot of money just to get the computer. Macs can go for at least $499 (and a lot more, especially when choosing specifications), a prebuilt Windows PC can also go for around that much (price varies by brand in addition to specifications), and people who build their own PCs may spend even more. While paying $119 every few years to upgrade to the latest Windows won't break the bank, and it's nowhere near the price you paid, you really shouldn't have to pay extra, and it's great that Microsoft finally caught on after so many years. Also, if you upgrade to an operating system that is more maintained, software is more likely to be compatible.

TCK, you should really just bite the bullet and use Linux Mint or Debian.

But then how will I play my 5 PC games

Umh7x1l.gif

I dunno, I was just being sarcastic because I really just play Halo, Red Dead Redemption, and Dark Souls.

Umh7x1l.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0