Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skeezix the Cat

Display driver crashing in virtually every game

33 posts in this topic

Alright, I've made a few butthurt status rants about this before but to put it softly I am very nettled right now.  I'm pretty sure it's not necessarily AMD's fault, and one of my GPUs is faulty and causing the issue.  Across the board in any game I play that uses a GPU, not five minutes into the game it will freeze and I will be unable to exit it unless I actually sign out of my user account or restart the computer.  In all cases, the display driver crashes and recovers causing the game to shit itself.  I think one or two games actually can handle it without crashing, like Spore but I rarely play Spore so I honestly don't give a hoot.

I have tried updating drivers, underclocking, overclocking, underclocking with raised voltages, no combination of these things has any effect at all.  A Microsoft support article about display driver crashing said that Windows will force the GPU to reset if it does not respond in I think it was 2 seconds by default, and it gave instructions on how to increase that if you want to.  I raised it to 8 seconds, and at first was able to play Minecraft for a good two hours but then it started saying "X application was blocked from accessing the display device".  This is NOW the error I get in all games causing them to crash.

I am so desperately ready to get that G1 Gaming 980Ti but I won't have the money for it for another two weeks, and my mood so far can be summed up as something like this:

Honestly now that I've typed out this post I'm not sure what I'm expecting you guys to be able to help me with because I'm pretty sure it's just that I got a failing GPU.  I'm going to try, extremely begrudgingly, removing one at a time and playing with just one and seeing if I can narrow it down to which card.  If both do it, then I guess that sucks.  If neither do it individually, I guess it's possible this error is just a fluke of me mixing brands.  Either way I guess this is good motivation to work more hours for that new card.  I'm open to any suggestions you guys might have.

oVoXWXc.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

If you have Raptr or some other game capture software that does highlight recordings, then that's an issue with AMD drivers. Other than that I haven't experienced any other issues.

Have you tried just using one card then?

And a G1 980ti is a sexy upgrade for a 1440p monitor. You'd probably just go for it regardless.

Edited by ShikuTeshi
Skeezix the Cat likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

What card are you using? AMD, yes, but what model?

Are you using the crossfire setup from your profile "MSI R9 270X Gaming 4GB + Sapphire R9 270X 4GB Crossfire"?

I wonder using two different manufacturers makes a difference here? Or if crossfire in general is unstable.

What card are you using? AMD, yes, but what model?

Are you using the crossfire setup from your profile "MSI R9 270X Gaming 4GB + Sapphire R9 270X 4GB Crossfire"?

I wonder using two different manufacturers makes a difference here? Or if crossfire in general is unstable.

Yeah, those two. I removed the newer Sapphire card and I've gotten probably 40 minutes of play time in, no issues to speak of. But I'm not out of the woods yet, yesterday I had managed to get an hour or so of playtime before it crashed so who knows? Having to let go of my precious AA was hard though D:

I think this is the part where Tucker comes in the thread, laughs heartily and tells me "I told you so"

WaeV likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Return everything to stock clocks. Uninstall anything that tweaks your card. Download DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) from here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ and extract then boot into safe mode and use it. Installed drivers when back into regular desktop. Check.

Edited by Perseus
WaeV likes this

Try running a bench test on the GPU in question and watch your temps. That's usually an indication of a failing GPU.

http://www.burnintest.com/

Return everything to stock clocks. Uninstall anything that tweaks your card. Download DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) from here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ and extract then boot into safe mode and use it. Installed drivers when back into regular desktop. Check.

Will do. Should be able to try both out a bit later tonight. I would like to add though that nothing in my system goes above the low 60s even in games like the Witched 3 or GTA V.

oVoXWXc.png

Soooo many people have had stability issues with the 270 and 280, which are just super-clocked versions of the 7870 and 7970. And yes, I did warn you not to go with them; this is where I drew my line with AMD. =p

Try underclocking below stock frequencies, and if that solves it, try bringing it back to stock and raising the core voltage until stable. I mention you should probably try underclocking first because you're likely already at the limits of the chip, since it was already pushed so far beyond initial specification, and it's also an easier way to verify whether this is the problem or not.

xvii and WaeV like this

So, with the Sapphire card out and the MSI one still in, I was able to play GTA V for hours without problems but my mom tells me ESO still crashes pretty much every 30 minutes which is less than before but still not playable, especially for an MMO.  Since it was the easiest one, I went ahead and did the burnintest and set it to CPU, RAM, 2D and 3D graphics.  Everything passed, CPU got up to 58C and GPU got up to 54C.  Now I'm gonna put the Sapphire card back in and underclock the shit out of both cards.  Pretty sure I tried this once before and it didn't help, but I don't remember how low I set the clocks.  Now, using stock 7870s as a reference, if the issue is still present at 7870 speeds then it's not a problem with the factory overclocks.  After that I'll do the DDU thing, then if it still crashes I'll take the MSI card and I guess just see which one gives the least amount of problems and live with it for another month :\

Tucker933 and WaeV like this

oVoXWXc.png

You tried updating drivers, but did you try a rollback? Also, your mom plays ESO?

Edited by Kvasir

Doldrums.png