What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
giraffe

Need help getting Halo CE dedicated server running on Linux VPS

16 posts in this topic

The VPS is running Ubuntu 14.04 Server and I've installed Wine 1.6.

Whenever I try to run haloceded.exe with wineconsole I get this message:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

I assume this happens because there is no desktop environment. What else do need to install (or commands I need to run) to get this working?

Tiddy-bits:

It does it to me, too. Wine normally expects you to have a display and will warn you if it tries to create a window when it's not possible. Fortunately, Wine also has Wineconsole, which can be used for things that normally run in cmd.exe.

Use

wineconsole --backend=curses pathtohalo[ce]ded.exe -path . -port 2305... whatever your arguments are

It'll put the dedicated server in your terminal session rather than in a separate window. You can also use this in a screen session, too, if you want to keep the dedicated server running in the background.

Takka likes this

It does it to me, too. Wine normally expects you to have a display and will warn you if it tries to create a window when it's not possible. Fortunately, Wine also has Wineconsole, which can be used for things that normally run in cmd.exe.

Use

wineconsole --backend=curses pathtohalo[ce]ded.exe -path . -port 2305... whatever your arguments are
It'll put the dedicated server in your terminal session rather than in a separate window. You can also use this in a screen session, too, if you want to keep the dedicated server running in the background.

Then this happens:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.

Strange that that doesn't work. Halo could possibly be getting an exception error. You are using a 32-bit version of Wine, right?

If you do need a desktop environment, SSH can transfer X environments to your computer to display the windows there, and PuTTY does support this. If there's an exception error or something happening, you'll be able to see it there. Wine might also be trying to set itself up, too, though I don't remember that exactly requiring an X environment (could be wrong).

Strange that that doesn't work. Halo could possibly be getting an exception error. You are using a 32-bit version of Wine, right?

If you do need a desktop environment, SSH can transfer X environments to your computer to display the windows there, and PuTTY does support this. If there's an exception error or something happening, you'll be able to see it there. Wine might also be trying to set itself up, too, though I don't remember that exactly requiring an X environment (could be wrong).

It is the 32-bit verion of Wine. I was able to print screen before these messages disappeared:

mFZalgH.png

It is the 32-bit verion of Wine. I was able to print screen before these messages disappeared:

mFZalgH.png

That looks like an exception error. It's a segmentation fault from trying to write to 0x00000000.

You do have valid bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map present in your maps folder, right? Halo CE requires these files present, as they have tag data that's missing in the maps. If you don't, I made a version of the bitmaps.map and sounds.map files that only have the tag data with the bitmaps and sounds data stripped from the files, resulting in files only a few hundred kilobytes. They're at http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/4834-ce-dedicated-server-bitmapsmap-and-soundsmap/

That looks like an exception error. It's a segmentation fault from trying to write to 0x00000000.

You do have valid bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map present in your maps folder, right? Halo CE requires these files present, as they have tag data that's missing in the maps. If you don't, I made a version of the bitmaps.map and sounds.map files that only have the tag data with the bitmaps and sounds data stripped from the files, resulting in files only a few hundred kilobytes. They're at http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/4834-ce-dedicated-server-bitmapsmap-and-soundsmap/

I was using the default loc.map and your bitmaps.map and sounds.map, I even tried the default bitmaps and sounds maps but still getting the same thing.

I was using the default loc.map and your bitmaps.map and sounds.map, I even tried the default bitmaps and sounds maps but still getting the same thing.

All right. I take it you're also using a valid ui.map as well, and stuff?

All right. I take it you're also using a valid ui.map as well, and stuff?

That is weird. Adding the ui.map to the maps folder fixed it. Why don't I need it when running on Windows?

That is weird. Adding the ui.map to the maps folder fixed it. Why don't I need it when running on Windows?

The Halo dedicated server will run the ui.map if there's no map open, just like the client. The ui.map installs with the dedicated server, so you probably had it in your maps folder and you weren't aware of it.