Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daywu

Linux

I am new to linux and just recently heard about it. I wanted to hear your suggestions and maybe some help on choosing which distro to have. I am thinking about getting Salent. Any opinions?

Image result for kimi no na gif

Tiddy-bits:

Ubuntu (or Mint, a spinoff of Ubuntu) is probably the best starter-friendly distro to learn and has the most hardware support + decent documentation. Arch Linux is about on par, great wikis, lots of documentation, but is a lot more challenging if you are looking for a learning curve (there are spinoffs that are already pre-configured such as Antergos and Manjaro). Fedora is bleeding edge but not the most stable or software friendly when it comes to running i386 binaries because they are moving onto full 64-bit support (it's a pain in the ass). OpenSUSE is nice, but I've run into issues with dependencies in the last version (13.2). Last but not least of my recommendations is Debian. It's a little outdated, but stable as hell.

I have to ask, what is your primary goal as far as using Linux?

Edited by iTails
WaeV likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I used to use Easy Peasy but that was years ago.

Umh7x1l.gif

Get Mint.

To elaborate on this:

Mint is probably the best distro to use if you're new to Linux. It's a very solid, well supported fork of Ubuntu. It's got a very positive reputation all around. I've used it on many laptops and virtual machines in the past and it's by far the most user friendly Linux distro I've used.

WaeV and Solaris like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Get Arch. Fuck it up a couple 100 times. Fix it. You are now a linux guru. 

On a serious note, I'd recommend either Mint, or Elementary OS.  eOS feels as though it's more fit to a portable device (Laptop), so if you're looking to install it on multiple devices I'd check it out assuming you own a laptop.

76561198089807976.png

On a serious note, I'd recommend either Mint, or Elementary OS.  eOS feels as though it's more fit to a portable device (Laptop), so if you're looking to install it on multiple devices I'd check it out assuming you own a laptop.

ElementaryOS is great, too. It is very, very OSX-like. If you like OSX's design, you'd probably like it.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0