Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Evolve client (dead)

29 posts in this topic

With the influx of players migrating to Evolve from x-fire I can only see that the 'owners/creators' of Evolve have become money hungry scabs.

It sounds like you just sign up for a service which grants access to a beta version and more. It's nice that xfire was free but why should you expect Evolve to be?

Gamers are getting waaay cheap/lazy and it actually is starting to bug me. Our form of entertainment supplies more fun-hours per dollar than most other hobbies and contains tech heavy stuff while taking years to create. Everyone still complains about "money grubbing" about every new game.

Sure there are those out there who are just basically riding the gravy train but for the love of god, it's not every company.

This was a rant in general, not all directed right at you. I just think the recent wave of "COD/DLC suck and they only want your money" has gone too far out of control.

Doldrums.png

Members of Open Carnage enjoy an ad-free experience!

When I first joined evolve I was amazed at the increasing total of donations they received. Each month they surpassed the target easily and by a great amount. They then pissed everyone off with their forced adverts which have now become a standard view at games end. Yes, they tweaked it so you can lower or even mute the sound but with a caption of 'Don't like ads then sign up for ???? Membership' or similar. Not a great business promotion in my opinion.

I understand where you are coming from and it sad that there is so much out there that people/players can rip off regardless of the quality of product which dips the income received.

I guess it's just bad timing for Evolve to do as they have done for it to be seen as ' money hungry' by a lot of their new and some of their older members.

Kvasir and Iggy like this

Rumors are carried by haters
Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

yah well i think it will be available to public in some time maybe soon

From the feedback I've seen posted on their website, and from asking people I know of who actually bothered downloading it, it doesn't even have most of the features of the older client. Sure, it's "just a beta" and it's "unfinished", but I'm not going to include information about Evolve's beta or even acknowledge its existence outside of a reply until it's worth using outside of just testing.

If someone were to write a review about the beta, it would be very short and would not be able to fulfill the requirements to get tickets, because there's almost nothing to talk about yet.

Evolve's V2 client beta will be the latest version of Evolve, and is currently available to download for Evolve's Helix and Party+ users. You can chat on it.

Pros:

• Friends list and chat
  • Multi-user chat rooms
  • MUC Chat history

Cons: (none that I know of)

Alternatives:

• AOL Instant Messenger has more features, and it's free.

Sure, it has potential to be something useful, but not right now. When people read a review, they usually want the review to talk the features it has right now, not features it will have in 5 months.

It sounds like you just sign up for a service which grants access to a beta version and more. It's nice that xfire was free but why should you expect Evolve to be?

I don't care if Evolve costs $5.00, $10.00, or even $20.00, as long as I get something in return that's of equal or greater value. If it's an unfinished product that is intended only for people to test and not actually use, and has little features because it's unfinished, then it's not worth it right now. You can go right ahead and pay them their fee, and I won't stop you, but I don't recommend it right now if you're looking for something like Xfire.

Kvasir and As7raios like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

it's kind of odd that they let paid users to test the beta maybe they don't have the HW to let everyone on the beta lol

L_HQGtwlN3Kqcxib.jpg

poqdavid.png

Shouldn't Discord be at the top? Seems to be the most comparable application to Evolve. 

#nitpickyaf

Tucker933 likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

5 hours ago, As7raios said:

Shouldn't Discord be at the top? Seems to be the most comparable application to Evolve. 

#nitpickyaf

Discord is far superior to Evolve, and in terms of features for communities, it's definitely better than Steam at doing this.

However, when it comes to gaming, which based on Evolved's feature set (a lot of stuff such as communities and group chatting were almost as good as Steam's, if not a little worse), I assumed Evolved was more focused on gaming features, I'd have to disagree.

Steam can do this:

• Screenshots
  • Launching games
  • Joining games in progress
  • Browsing servers without starting up the game
  • Joining favorite servers without navigating the user interface

Not to mention Steam's overlay can do this:

• Text/Voice chat (Discord's overlay only supports voice chatting)
  • Add/remove friends
  • Join a friend's games in progress
  • Frame rate counter
  • Browse the web

Discord cannot do any of the above, and more. These features may be essential to anyone wanting an Xfire replacement. Given Evolved's feature set, this is why I concluded that Steam was more appropriate to list first.

buttonspectre likes this

competent.png

Heh, I guess you can look at it from that perspective. I was looking at it as an application that's solely meant to add on to a game you already have installed rather than a marketplace. I definitely see your point, though.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

On 6/1/2017 at 9:59 PM, As7raios said:

Heh, I guess you can look at it from that perspective. I was looking at it as an application that's solely meant to add on to a game you already have installed rather than a marketplace. I definitely see your point, though.

While I did consider some of the marketplace features of Steam, even ignoring them, I'd find Steam to be a bit more useful than Discord for adding onto games. My point actually had nothing to do with Steam being a marketplace.

On Discord, you can't join someone else's game, you can't launch your games from your list of games, and the overlay only supports the controlling of voice chat - you can't text chat with your friends, nor can you browse the web, take screenshots, or even have a basic frame rate counter, and these were things Evolve and Xfire could do, and something Steam can do right now. Sure Discord is also probably just as essential to have, but if you compare them feature for feature, Steam is a much better alternative than Discord to Evolve, especially when you look at how they add onto games. If Discord had these features, it would have easily made it first on my list, but it doesn't.

buttonspectre likes this

competent.png