Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King

Dome light

i have a dome light scenery which can light up a perticuler area

3dafc7c98b.jpg

(atually i had seen that in w5rtorn_cove map) and when i tried in my maps then the scenery spawns but it does not emite any light ,so how can i fix it ?

i m leaving this scenery tag in attachments

light area script.rar

Want Free HALO server? , PM me !

Tiddy-bits:

Well, as far as I can tell, you're shooting yourself in the foot in several places.

There are two ways to create light on the map: radiosity, and dynamic lighting.

Radiosity only works well with higher quality lightmapping - it'll look globby and silly at radiosity quality 0. If you were aiming for these to be part of the lightmaps (better performance), and you haven't re-run lightmaps, that's probably why.

OR it could be the fact that your light radius is 0.05 world units, which is virtually nothing. Probably won't even go past the bounds of your model. On top of that, for some reason you also set a modifier of 0.05, which IIRC is a multiplier to the radius, so you'd actually end up with 0.0025 world units, which is even tinier.

In these pics I have a working dynamic white light tag on the right, and your tag on the left.

If you were trying to get the dynamic light working, these are the differences: You have selected radiosity in your tag, which as it shows in the image is ignored for dynamic lighting - so again, unless you re-run the lightmaps, you'll never see the light, because it's not dynamic, and isn't "real time" so to speak. Radiosity light tags are basically just an outline for where to put extra color into the lightmaps when they run.

"Hey, engine, I know it says there's no light rays hitting here and it's supposed to be shadow, but just paint some blue here in a circle about yea big, K?"

6x9MZZl.jpg

The second thing you'd have to do if you wanted to make them dynamic, is actually check the "dynamic" flag at the top of the tag, like so:

Even if you do all of these things, I think the biggest issue for you is going to be the absolutely miniscule light radius you've chosen. At this point, I'm fairly sure that even if you made it radiosity and ran lightmaps, or if you made it dynamic, the light wouldn't be big enough to see at all. Try making the values bigger, and choose your path.

JXouwni.jpg

Rule of thumb:

Dynamic light: good for things like weapon flashes, flashlights, some interior lighting, and effects. This is for when you need to see the light affect the environment in real time, and this light type will show off bump/normal mapping, accentuating architecture quite nicely. It also hits performance fairly heavily, since in essence it is performing a micro-radiosity right then (not really, but it's similar) to paint new brightness/color on top of existing surface materials and textures/shaders.

Radiosity light: good for stationary light sources, like torches, wall lights, lights in architecture or really any light source that isn't going to be moving. These will take nothing in terms of performance, since they're painted on the surfaces like regular lightmaps. However, these are not capable of showing bump/normal maps (ambient occlusion), and so won't look as good quality wise. However, if used right, these are the ones that change the atmosphere of a map. Look at Snowcast - all the torches on the sides are radiosity lighting. The lens flare on the top makes it look like it's currently emitting light, and the blue glow around it on the snow fools your eye into thinking "wow this is actually glowing blue!", but it isn't.

Choose wisely. Too many dynamic lights and your FPS will go to shit on older machines. A handful of dynamics can give the map a very good "living" feel to it, and because they work with AO, it's much higher quality.

WaeV, HAN-105, Takka and 1 other like this

KsqHutE.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0