What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShikuTeshi

Built a PC for my cousin, and others

19 posts in this topic

Corsair tends to be a good brand, and that particular model has good reviews, at least on Newegg. However I would just be weary of XFX products because of their troubled history of quality control and not wanting to uphold their warranties. I haven't personally owned an XFX product, but everyone I've known to have one in the past has had nothing but awful experiences with them.

What do you have against Corsair PSU's?

Hey Tucker, 

Corsair is a decent brand, a bit overpriced but they do some good keyboard. Overall they are "good", competitors are doing much better for a good price, for example the RAM market. With that, Corsair low-mid range PSU are terrible and have a bad failure rate. XFX (they are not the OEM, the OEM make good PSU's)has changed over the while, they are pretty good now.

Here is the twist, Corsair isn't even the OEM. They are well known for failure rate on PSU, don't bother. I personally even dealt with people that were having issues with corsair PSU, they don't realize corsair is overhyped. 

Tiddy-bits:

Just find a psu that specs out where you need it to be at a budget you want to be in.   

After spending a few years working at electronics retailers, I have come to the conclusion that all consumer products lack decent quality control.   Hell most of the parts are made in the same Chinese factories. 

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

After spending a few years working at electronics retailers, I have come to the conclusion that all consumer products lack decent quality control.

True, but there are always varying levels of bad.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

This is my 8th PC build, all with a corsair PSU and I've never had a single problem. I never understand why so many people dislike it.

And I've also had a terrible experience with XFX.

It was probably my 3rd or 4th build, a gaming rig for a friend. He ordered an XFX AMD GPU and it came in dead. Shipped it back and got another dead one back. Then I had my friend refund it and buy a Gigabyte windforce instead. Worked.

So far my rating with Corsair is 10/10. I always choose their RAM and their PSU's. Will probably never recommend XFX. They even came out with the XFX Alpha case which can say a lot about how much effort and money they put into making decent products, if they even have a decent product.

Sceny likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

PC was built today.

It's perfectly stable and super fast.

The case only came with one fan but since the CPU uses such little power and we don't have a GPU, heat isn't really an issue. Especially since the CPU won't ever be hitting max load.

Cable management was interesting in the case. I kind of just shoved everything into the 5.25' bay since there were no DVD Drives and no room behind the case.

Now the thing was that they didn't tell me they wanted to also store all their media on the computer, so I didn't bother with an HDD. So I went out and got them a WD 1TB Passport USB3.0

I didn't trust them with handling it carefully so I ghetto rigged it behind the computer case with duck tape since it didn't have a rear fan, and plugged it into the rear i/o.

Budget family computer at it's finest...

WaeV likes this

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????

I'm confused as to the point of getting an external drive if it's going to be taped down and, I'm assuming, permanent? Could you not stuff a single actual hard drive in the bay with your spare wires?

DiSiAC and WaeV like this

oVoXWXc.png

I'm confused as to the point of getting an external drive if it's going to be taped down and, I'm assuming, permanent? Could you not stuff a single actual hard drive in the bay with your spare wires?

The only place that sells internal HDD's in our area are used drives that are under 500gb. They're thrown into a huge bin of crap and I don't trust those enough to last even a week.

So I opted for an external HDD I got from Costco.

Plus USB 3.0 is way faster than the HDD's top speed, so it doesn't even matter.

Does the drive show up as removable, or internal?

Removeable

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0