What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeX

The time has come for upgrading the rig

51 posts in this topic

Yup. Silver ones in the old case, gold in the new. 

Just tried putting the motherboard and PSU back in the old case, getting the same spin up, spin down routine. God damn it man, what the fuck do I do now?

KsqHutE.png

Tiddy-bits:

Dunno man, not much you haven't tried that I can think of. Try attaching the old front panel connector, and use that to turn it on, just to see if that makes the difference. You'll either have to yank all of that out of your old case, or just get your case right up next to this one to do it.

Also, you could try providing a couple pictures of the inside of your case, to see if anything obvious stands out as being wrong.

DiSiAC likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Ok. I will do all of that tomorrow morning. I'm extremely drained after all of this. Since everything was hooked up for the first power on, is my brand new GPU, old HDD, all of that shit totally gone now? Or will the individual components be ok?

Would you recommend getting the same motherboard so I can keep using the old processor? It's an i7, seems a total waste to just scrap it :(

KsqHutE.png

Your hardware could be fried, but it may not be. I've seen systems that had motherboards repeatedly shorted have everything still work fine after the short was fixed. But you of course don't want to be trying to power it on over and over again in hopes it suddenly works. Make sure you're trying new things if you're going to do that.

You could definitely do with an upgrade as far as that board goes, and you can choose from a variety of boards, as long as the socket type matches. However you shouldn't assume that the motherboard is going to solve anything. You should narrow down your issue by at least testing your other hardware in different builds.

You could definitely do with an upgrade as far as that board goes, and you can choose from a variety of boards, as long as the socket type matches. However you shouldn't assume that the motherboard is going to solve anything. You should narrow down your issue by at least testing your other hardware in different builds.

Like how? This was the only desktop I had. I do have an old ass vista machine across the room but now I'm scared shitless to even look at it...

Ok - what should I do first to determine if the mobo is completely shot or not? There's an ASUS motherboard on newegg I can pick up for like $65 if the motherboard is the issue

KsqHutE.png

Ok - what should I do first to determine if the mobo is completely shot or not? There's an ASUS motherboard on newegg I can pick up for like $65 if the motherboard is the issue

You have to try it with a whole new set of hardware, or verify all your other hardware works by testing them in another machine.

Ok. I'll try that old vista machine, maybe I'll get lucky and it has a PCIe port that I can test the GPU in. 

So assuming it was static, what the FUCK do I do to avoid this? I thought the whole point of that clip was to make sure this exact situation didn't happen. What the hell?

KsqHutE.png

I thought the whole point of that clip was to make sure this exact situation didn't happen. What the hell?

It is the whole point, and I highly doubt you could have killed it with static considering the precautions you took. This issue also doesn't sound like one caused by ESD.

You said your new case had some funky fresh fan controller that everything plugged into.   Did you by chance happen to plug the cpu fans into the motherboard instead of that thingy in the case?  I have seen a pc do what you are describing because the motherboard thinks the cpu fan is fucked up.

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

Like I said, had a grounding strap with an alligator end strapped to the case the whole time

Uhhh... was it the case you were building in that you clipped it to? This is my final poke at this situation. Unless someone on the manufacturing line fucked up some wiring by mismatching it and that was the cause of fucking up your computer, I can't think of anything else.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0