Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pfhunkie

Halo 2 Review

16 posts in this topic

I actually could never find that pathway until several playthroughs, always looked over it tucked in the corner.

Are you saying there's another one? I thought that was the only one.

Umh7x1l.gif

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

When it comes to campaign design being linear, the entire Halo franchise suffers from it. Yes, there's only one way to complete the objective but I feel like that's fine as long as you have space to explore. Yes, Halo 2 sometimes gave you two corridors you can choose to go down but I missed the large set pieces that Halo: Combat Evolved had. Halo 2 had them sometimes but it was really far and few between. Really, the hate for it being such a corridor shooter is more of a complaint on the franchise as a whole and something they never really improved upon all that much. Then again, there's an argument to be had about whether or not "linear" is actually a bad thing for gameplay or if it's just a flavor of gameplay that's used too much so it puts a sour taste in people's mouths.

It's also always been the illusion of nonlinear set pieces that are nice in heavily scripted story based game. It gives you the immersion that the world you're in could be real rather than everything being scripted. Scripted campaigns aren't bad as long as they make you feel like they're not. Halo 2 never made me feel like it wasn't. It never gave me enough of a large set to just muck about in aimlessly... unless you glitched to get there.

DeadHamster likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

Are you saying there's another one? I thought that was the only one.

No I would just wander all over until I got a HUD waypoint. For some reason I just could not remember it was up there, each time I thought "Hm, I remember having to kill everyone, maybe they send a pelican to get me".

AS7 I can agree on the openness. H1 had much larger areas, they may be linear but they were open. Halo 2 is much more condensed as far as areas go. No huge fields, no vastly open rooms, until you glitch out. Then there's all of mother's creation to explore, but nothing there but level geometry and some hidden skulls

Outskirts/Metropolis were and are my favorite Halo levels, so that's what I think of when I think "Halo 2". I picture jumping all over Outskirts, getting a banshee into metropolis and getting the scarab gun, finding the soccer ball hidden in that one building. The map is huge...once you get out of it.

Delta Halo is another favorite, I'd often get the Ghost over the wall in the beginning and then it's probably the largest explorable area in any of the Halo games. Terrain is gigantic, all empty of course. The map is huge...once you get out of it.

I spent more time with a friend doing sword-dashes, super bounces, and melee-canceling ladder jumps than I ever did actually playing the game. Playable area, the actual gameplay is very cramped. While there is a lot to explore (they gave us the Sputnik skull to help) it's only once the game is done, it's not part of the campaign.

Yeah, I think of Outskirts and Metropolis when I think fondly of Halo 2's campaign as well. Those levels are actually pretty solid when it comes to the illusion but nothing beyond those two levels did anything spectacular for me. Delta Halo came close but no cookie.

An example of what I would have loved to see more was the second level of Halo. The wide open expanse, choosing which team to rescue first, choosing in what direction you'd come in to rescue each team, an open area you have to explore to get to each team, the enemies spread out across that area making it all feel more alive... That's what I would have liked to see more of.

DeadHamster likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

Since this topic I downloaded H2V and have been playing through the campaign. This is the first time I've played through the whole campaign since I began seriously modding H1, so I don't see it as a video game anymore, I see what's underneath. 

For starters, they reused so so many textures. Metal_Strips_Narrow and Metal_Strips_Wide especially.

For seconds, I'm even more pissed now that nobody ever converted the H2 flood bipeds. They are gorgeous compared to H1, it's not even close. Outdated and ancient at this point, but gorgeous compared.

The in-game cutscenes, the ones that are scripted and not custom animated, Holy god are they horrid. I never realized how high of a standard the modding community has until replaying this. I would never in my life accept some of the scenes I was watching, let alone as a legitimate company. Geometry errors all over the BSP's, UV maps are stretched horridly in places, non-planar surfaces that should be flat. BSP's load and fog/weather SNAPS instantly from "Flood Fog can't see shit" to "Clear as day with a bit of snow".

The Elites will hop ontop of scenery items like crates, while doing this they can't move or dodge for the 1-2 seconds the animation takes, which means they're getting stuck each and every time. I've been killed more from Flood Infection bipeds than probably everything else combined.

AS7, I am so goddamn cramped. BUT, it's only on the Arbiter levels. Chief usually gets space (Outskirts/Metro, DeltaHalo/Regret), Arbiter gets dungeons. I can't believe I never noticed the difference between H1/H2, now I understand what you mean about hallways. Claustrophobia 24/7/52/. 

Dual-Wielding is ludicrous. I've slept on Dual Wielding completely and totally. The SMG is actually fairly decent in the campaign, Dualies? Game-Fucking-Over. Everything gonna die. It shouldn't be that way, they should've never added it. The weapons are almost useless without it.

With all that said though, I still wouldn't change a thing. Maybe, maybe, let the shotgun shoot more than 5 inches so it's actually a legitimate weapon.

Pfhunkie and WaeV like this

The in-game cutscenes, the ones that are scripted and not custom animated, Holy god are they horrid. I never realized how high of a standard the modding community has until replaying this. I would never in my life accept some of the scenes I was watching, let alone as a legitimate company. Geometry errors all over the BSP's, UV maps are stretched horridly in places, non-planar surfaces that should be flat. BSP's load and fog/weather SNAPS instantly from "Flood Fog can't see shit" to "Clear as day with a bit of snow".

There's an interview / developer commentary with Bungie on YouTube somewhere. In it they talked about how H1's scripting was far better than H2's. More flexible, and easier to get right.
DeadHamster and Pfhunkie like this