Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pfhunkie

Halo 2 Review

16 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Dual wielding. For multiple reasons, it made the sandbox go to absolute shit and it caused practically every weapon except the BR, power weapons, and the sniper useless.

A thousand times yes. I really don't see why people wanted them to bring it back when Reach came out. So many fucking times there was at least one guy that only goes dual needlers every round.

Pfhunkie likes this

Nearly a half of the game was cut

I've never heard this before. Did they actually have more levels built already and didn't include them, or did they just have more levels planned?

I might make a post like this for Halo 3, my pride and joy.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

I've never heard this before. Did they actually have more levels built already and didn't include them, or did they just have more levels planned?I might make a post like this for Halo 3, my pride and joy.

They had parts made but notthing complete which is why it was scrapped. Basically, everything that happens in Halo 3 was meant to be in Halo 2.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

Huh. To be honest I find myself surprised at how long the H2 campaign already is, every time I play it.

Umh7x1l.gif

Huh. To be honest I find myself surprised at how long the H2 campaign already is, every time I play it.

It is pretty lengthy but it's still bullshit when you get to the cliffhanger xD

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

I guess it was less bullshit for me since I expected it. Halo 2 was the first Halo I played, but I didn't get far in the campaign; wasn't until Halo 3 when I actually started to be a fan of Halo and pay attention to the story, so I went back and played Halo 2 all the way through after already playing Halo 3.

And then... after playing Halo 3 followed by Halo 2, I went and played Halo 1... then Reach came out. So I went perfectly backwards through the storyline by coincidence.

Edited by TCK
WaeV likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

I can agree with most until the "Halo 2 started Lineal Maps, was much worse than Combat Evolved"

Combat evolved recycled not only sections but entire levels, and each and every BSP was lineal. In H2 there are other areas to venture to, multiple paths across this section, etc. etc.   CE was always one way, one path. If there's an extra door it's locked, if there's an extra bridge it's broken. A30 (Halo) is one big field with a building, then a room with a single bridge, then another couple fields with a building. You go to field A, then B, then C each time. B40 was an ice cavern, high walls with a single way to walk. B30 was open, but even then the interiors are both a single pathway downwards. The second time through B40 it gives you a banshee, but there's nothing there to see. Cliffs, and the top of one tower with a doorway that leads literally nowhere. Not even a locked door, just an empty little nook.

Halo 2 had multiple paths (To get to Hotel Zanzibar in Outskirts I can go down the side alley, jump up near the jackal snipers and head down the main road, or hop into the broken building and spook the grunts watching over), they hid weapons in areas that were out of the way or hidden (Energy Sword in Outskirts, Fuel Rod Gun in Delta Halo), there were additional platforms/sections/rooms to explore (Marine Cells, High Charity). Almost always empty sure, but they were there for aesthetics.

I missed out on entire encounters from the first level (Cairo) for years, because I hopped up here instead of taking the stairs there so now the trigger volume wasn't tripped. CE was never open enough for that to happen, because there was only one possible way I'm getting to where I need to go. 

H2 was still lineal, but any game with a worthwhile campaign is, especially if we're going back to 2004. Even games like GTA5 force you to follow a path and instruction once a mission starts. There's no way to tell a story if the player can wander off down an alley and miss the whole scene.

Not targeting any of this at you of course, AS7, nor is an 11 year old game worth arguing on. We just see it differently, so I'm yelling at air and you happen to be in the same room.

Lockout is boss, we can definitely agree there

TCK likes this

That's true about H2 being less linear than it was described, and how they don't recycle BSPs like H1 did. On the flood containment zone levels especially, there are bridges to walk around or edges to hug or tunnels, all as alternatives.

Unrelated to it being open or linear, I missed the, "defend the ruins," encounters at the beginning of Delta Halo for years and had no idea they existed until the most recent time I played through. I just had always walked straight through to the next part, with the jackals on the ridge, and then continued.

I think a30 is pretty damn open though. I complete it in a different order literally every time I play it, just by chance since I still don't quite have a mental image of the layout.

Umh7x1l.gif

That's funny, on Delta I actually could never find that pathway until several playthroughs, always looked over it tucked in the corner.

And on things being cut, holy cow was stuff cut from H2. At least 2 entire levels were cut "Covenant Ship and a "Flood Tank" level"

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Deleted_Material

Lookie there for all the stuff cut from Halo games. Very cool stuff.