Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fringehalo

Singularity - Arcade Server

65 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Did you reinstall your Internet connection, too? I saw you complaining about getting your Internet bandwidth being measured in kilobits.

Halo has poor netcode, and it's even worse if the connection is in any way unstable. Even 5% packet loss is enough to significantly screw up gameplay and cause some big warping.

Nah some moron cut one of the major cables to the USA and all of the Australian packets were going through some alternative cable that had tiny capacity. Halo has beautiful netcode but a few more fields would have been nice (like velocity in the object update packets).

Halo has beautiful netcode but a few more fields would have been nice (like velocity in the object update packets).

Multiplayer on Halo sucks. The only way to get a game that doesn't lag is to host it under create game in the client. Not even connecting to a server hosted on 127.0.0.1 will give you a game without some sort of warping. You're forced to melee the air in order to hit people. You're also forced to lead a lot even at point-blank range. Halo's also bad at syncing just about everything, except maybe vehicles. None of these issues make any sense, and yet they exist and make vanilla Halo much more difficult to play than it should, unless you're the host. Perhaps you should fix everything else, first?

NeX likes this

95% of those issues aren't even related to the netcode  :rolleyes:

I said nothing about it being related to the netcode. I said you should fix multiplayer before you actually add things. I would prefer to have a game that doesn't warp at 30-110 ping. Halo is an old game, but there really wasn't any excuse for this back when it was made, either.

I messed around in Halo for 2 minutes on an unmodified dedicated server hosted on 127.0.0.1. Here are some examples:

http://protonnebula.com/misc-files/vids/warpiness.mp4

WaeV likes this

I've never had warping like that on Atomical's BG/CTF server when my ping is 70-99ms there. It's like silky smooth.

Whereas, on Arcade CTF, when my ping is ~99ms its warpy as all hell.

Kinda frustrating since Arcade CTF is the most popular server.  -_-

Edited by jeepers

..on Arcade CTF, when my ping is ~99ms its warpy as all hell.

99ms is fairly good, actually, and wouldn't account for unusual warpiness. That sounds like you're experiencing packet loss, which could be either on your routing or on the server's end, however upon checking the packet loss to the server, there appears to be none at present.

Have you always been experiencing this issue?