What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krazychic

Australian comedian perfectly sums up why other countries think US gun laws are crazy

38 posts in this topic

https://youtu.be/fP3HJVp3n9c

Worth the read:

Australian comedian Jim Jefferies was the victim of a home invasion once. He was tied up and beaten, and his girlfriend was threatened with rape. So you might think he'd sympathize with the idea that Americans want guns to protect their families. Quite the opposite — he does an excellent job of summing up why so many foreigners are baffled by America's gun culture:

He continues with a blistering smackdown of the idea that Americans seek guns to keep their families safe:

In Australia, we had the biggest massacre on earth, and the Australian government went: "That's it! NO MORE GUNS." And we all went, "Yeah, all right then, that seems fair enough, really."

Now in America, you had the Sandy Hook massacre, where little tiny children died. And your government went, "Maybe ... we'll get rid of the big guns?" And 50 percent of you went, "FUCK YOU, DON'T TAKE MY GUNS."

You have guns because you like guns! That's why you go to gun conventions; that's why you read gun magazines! None of you give a shit about home security. None of you go to home security conventions. None of you read Padlock Monthly. None of you have a Facebook picture of you behind a secure door.

He doesn't see at all how a gun would have helped him when his home was broken into. "I was naked at the time. I wasn't wearing my holster." How exactly would a gun have protected him? he asks. Was he supposed to be crouched at his windowsill, gun cocked, waiting on high alert for intruders?

By the way. Most people who are breaking into your house just want your fucking TV! You think that people are coming to murder your family? How many fucking enemies do you
have
?

Source: http://www.vox.com/2015/3/24/8283199/gun-control-comedy-jefferies

Daywu and SnipeYa like this

Tiddy-bits:

Jim Jefferies is insufferable.

Not for this vid specifically, this one was actually better than other stuff I've seen of him, but I have a hard time enjoying him.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

He may be a tad theatrical about it but he makes some good points.

I can see the entertainment value of what he's saying, if you're into him, but as far as making actual points I'd have to disagree.

His biggest thing is, "stop being paranoid!" And his thing about, "most people who are breaking into your house just want your fucking TV! You think that people are coming to murder your family? How many fucking enemies do you have?" is just... fucking what? Really? Guess how many people are going to be breaking into my house to steal my TV after I shoot the first one. The answer: less.

Also guess how many families get murdered because someone broke in to steal a TV and then got caught. The, "you're just paranoid," bit stops really meaning anything after a while

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

I can see the entertainment value of what he's saying, if you're into him, but as far as making actual points I'd have to disagree.

His biggest thing is, "stop being paranoid!" And his thing about, "most people who are breaking into your house just want your fucking TV! You think that people are coming to murder your family? How many fucking enemies do you have?" is just... fucking what? Really? Guess how many people are going to be breaking into my house to steal my TV after I shoot the first one. The answer: less.

In no way does shooting the first guy guarantee that less other people will try to rob you in your lifetime so that's a pretty moot point. Pretty sure most robbers are only after a quick score and not being charged with murder like some people assume. That was his whole point there.

I don't particularly want our guns all taken away or anything but this guy is pretty spot on about most people that have guns using "personal defense" as their top reason they have one (or many) when it's usually not. It's a hobby or a collection type thing for a lot of people and like he said there's no problem with that, just stop bullshitting about how you absolutely need one for personal defense.

Krazychic and SnipeYa like this

Doldrums.png

In no way does shooting the first guy guarantee that less other people will try to rob you in your lifetime so that's a pretty moot point. Pretty sure most robbers are only after a quick score and not being charged with murder like some people assume. That was his whole point there.

Houses actually do develop reputations among petty thieves, so it does have a good chance of meaning less people will attempt to rob your house.

I don't particularly want our guns all taken away or anything but this guy is pretty spot on about most people that have guns using "personal defense" as their top reason they have one (or many) when it's usually not. It's a hobby or a collection type thing for a lot of people and like he said there's no problem with that, just stop bullshitting about how you absolutely need one for personal defense.

I won't give you hilarious hypotheticals like, "86-year-old Widow Annie just had hip surgery; 19-year-old Tyrone weighs 220 pounds and sees her fumbling with her purse," but it's insane to think that personal defense isn't a reason to have a gun. Top reason? Well, you can dispute that all day but until it's removed as a legitimate reason, it's... still a legitimate reason.

I don't want to have to wrestle down some fag who makes a grab for my wallet. It's slow, difficult, far riskier, and not much of a deterrent when someone is considering, "maybe I should grab that wallet."

And I laughed when he said the part about assault rifles versus protection rifles; partially because I get that it's a joke, partially because "assault rifle" is a term thought up specifically to scare people into thinking, "wow that gun is noting but a handheld genocide."

Umh7x1l.gif

It's pretty easy to say "get rid of all the guns!" when you live in a country that is it's own continent and can easily control import/export (since the only possible route is by sea).

Not being connected by land and boarder to countries that host massive cartels makes that process a whole friggin lot easier.

I hear this argument from Aussies all the time and they simply cannot grasp that concept.

And I laughed when he said the part about assault rifles versus protection rifles; partially because I get that it's a joke, partially because "assault rifle" is a term thought up specifically to scare people into thinking, "wow that gun is noting but a handheld genocide."

That is the exact part I stopped watching at.

TCK likes this

Stop using SSL/TLS and anti-virus, because all the hacker wants is your data and not to destroy your computer :)

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

snip

Never said it wasn't a real reason, just that most people are actually afraid to admit they simply like having guns more than any other reason.

Also seems like some fresh bait throwing the word "fag" in there. What year is it? Am I 14 again?

Doldrums.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0