Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaeV

Dedicated Server Hosting

14 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

SAPP

No Blood Gulch

If you play on medium maps, actually make the max player count represent the maps

NeX likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

For my servers, I use a screen session and wineconsole (with curses backend), that way I can access the console from an SSH session while keeping it running when I'm not accessing it.

I just host a shitload through a VPS

This is definitely so much better than spending $15.95 per month on GameServers, when I can pay half that much for three servers with plenty of room to spare. Edited by 002

This is definitely so much better than spending $15.95 per month on GameServers, when I can pay half that much for three servers with plenty of room to spare.

Care to share? :)

No joke about the VPS being way more bang for the buck.

I'm running a 2-core with 3GB RAM, and as of right this minute there are 15 Halo servers (split between PC/CE), a 512 slot TS3, and a Minecraft server. No server lag as of yet, especially since a Halo dedi is like lifting a feather for any modern hardware. Bandwidth is the only possible problem with the setup, and I've got 2TB/month as part of the deal, so no sweat there either.

Too bad most of them just sit empty 90% of the time :P

WaeV likes this

KsqHutE.png

No joke about the VPS being way more bang for the buck.

I'm running a 2-core with 3GB RAM, and as of right this minute there are 15 Halo servers (split between PC/CE), a 512 slot TS3, and a Minecraft server. No server lag as of yet, especially since a Halo dedi is like lifting a feather for any modern hardware. Bandwidth is the only possible problem with the setup, and I've got 2TB/month as part of the deal, so no sweat there either.

Too bad most of them just sit empty 90% of the time :P

Bandwidth would be the limiting factor for you. From what I've seen, a full 16 player server will use ~84KB/sec of bandwidth, or 7.3GB per day, or around 220GB for 30.4368 days. If you have 2TB, it'll use at most 11% of that in a month. If you have 15 servers, it'll use at most 170% of that.

For disk space, if you aren't being cheap like me and having them each hoard the same maps and savegames folder, then it really just depends on what maps are in your maps folder.

As for memory, they rarely allocate more than 110MB. My currently empty Phoenix 3 server currently allocates 58MB of memory and my Halo CE server currently allocates 40MB of memory. My currently full Blood Gulch server allocates 68MB of virtual memory. If 15 servers are using 110MB, that totals 1650MB.

For CPU, the dedicated server uses little to nothing of it. I guess it might scale a little with the number of scripts you use, but there's really nothing to be concerned of it.

SAPP

No Blood Gulch

If you play on medium maps, actually make the max player count represent the maps

16 player rocket chiron any1?

Pfhunkie, NeX and WaeV like this