NeX

Halo: Revolution Public Beta

20 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

Nice to see this work coming to completion, amazing work NeX!

Now the issue is just getting people to play it. The whole point of a beta is to see how it plays and what changes need to be made :P

I've already a few in mind for gameplay based on what I've seen, and obviously the rest are visual, but so far the server has been a ghost town :/

MrWonka likes this

KsqHutE.png

New here, I mainly joined because of this project of yours. I've been trying to spread the word on every CE server I play on (even if I don't know much Spanish lol) I hope at least some of them will try it out. Any suggestions as to draw some traffic?

Well I'm shit at video editing, but a beta trailer would be cool. The problem (for me anyway) is that one of the coolest features is the biped switching ability, and it doesn't work until the next SAPP update, and even then only if everything works the way it should. 

I've left seeds in the server to bring it up from empty at least, but then the players who join come in, look around, play a bit, then ragequit. Or they get tired of having to download each map that's on the rotation. I may try putting up Icefields and Valhalla on rotation to get a "big team battle" type deal going on.

I'm definitely open to suggestions though....maybe posting on some different clan forums or something?

KsqHutE.png

Bipeds are finally added, SAPP codecaves are functional, and the maps now have functioning multi-playable bipeds. 

I've thrown together a quick script to make use of a SAPP command to change your biped, although it currently only lasts as long as you're in the server or a few games at most until I get it working with a more complicated file I/O method of maintaining user settings (002 I'll probably draw from your welcomewagon script to store unique player preferences via IP).

That being said, in the Cave server hosting the maps, 74.91.126.92:2315, 

/elite - sets you to play as an elite upon next spawn

/spartan - resets you to spartan character

I've also opened up a preliminary zombies testing server on 74.91.126.92:2325 to work out how the flood bipeds are doing, but I've had very little luck getting anyone into any of the servers to play long enough to get testing done.

aki664 and Takka like this

KsqHutE.png

Bipeds are finally added, SAPP codecaves are functional, and the maps now have functioning multi-playable bipeds.

I've also opened up a preliminary zombies testing server on 74.91.126.92:2325 to work out how the flood bipeds are doing, but I've had very little luck getting anyone into any of the servers to play long enough to get testing done.

All you need to do is ask ;)

294hqpu.png

Edited by Krazychic

Script is now fully functional and uses player IPs to track who has chosen to be represented with elites vs spartan "avatars".

Upon choosing, your IP is stored in a local table, which is on game end written to an external file, which is read to fill the table each game.

May not be terribly efficient, but it works, and I didn't feel like spending forever on this.

In short, if you hop in, use the /elite command, then come back a week later, you'll still spawn as an elite as long as the elites.txt file isn't cleared.

Once a little more testing is done and the beta is pretty much finished I'll release it publicly so anyone can edit or clean it up. Thanks 002 for the welcomewagon script, I used it for reference to a lot of the file I/O in LUA that I wasn't immediately familiar with, as well as that nice little piece of regular expression to truncate IPs to store without their port.

aki664 likes this

KsqHutE.png

You might want to update the server list. That IP was dead when I tried it.

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

And there is a couple others. Where do polarity and stagnant fit in? Are they pc only? And are you looking for feedback? Faults? Preferences? What I've played so far is good!