What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SnipeYa

I'd like to set up a home media server

12 posts in this topic

So today i just had a 60' LG smart TV delivered and i had a bit of a play with it. Apparently i can set up a DLNA server on my CentOS machine i use as an Apache server and play movies and such from that. Which would be fantastic because my mum and i watch a lot of movies and i hate copying them from my main external HDD to another so she can watch out in the living room.

Has anyone got some words of wisdom on this subject for me?

PfXuCLa.png

Tiddy-bits:

I think ps3ms works with smart tvs but I have not actually tried.   It is a brilliant piece of software that will transcode whatever you throw at it to a format that is compatible with the device you are streaming to.  

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/ definitely give it a try.

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

l8iva9B.png

Mmm...

Not too far fetched...

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Bumping this - I've been reading up a bit about Plex

I've got an old Vista machine or my primary desktop (w7, i7-2600k, 14GB RAM), either of which I'm fine using. Obviously I'd rather use the vista because it's just collecting dust atm, but I'm ok with using my primary desktop for the server, since I don't really use it much anyway.

Here's my main goal: I want a central repository where I can organize all of my music, movies, and shows that I've downloaded. I want to be able to stream them from either an android phone, win8 computer, maybe even a roku/chromecast stick.

Basically I want it to be my private media cloud. I'm a tad busy atm, so I'm looking for a decent fix in the way of software that's not going to require me to spend 6 hours installing some obscure Linux distro while drinking craft beer and wearing a fedora, and then coding up my own SSL protocols and shit.

Just want something simple.

KsqHutE.png

Plex is beautiful on the roku.

NeX likes this

Well, in the new apartment I'll have a roku3 box in the bedroom for that TV, I'd like to use the media server stuff mainly for the living room.

Would it work with a chromecast? I'd like to avoid spending a lot on another roku box, especially since they are picky about what TVs and HDMI cables they work on

KsqHutE.png

I personally do not use a chromecast, but I do believe some of my friends setups revolve around a chromecast and plex.  A quick google search confirms it works with it at least.

Just as an update, I'm currently using Plex and it's badass as hell. Paid $5 for the app on android, since I'd never use half the shit that comes as a PlexPass "feature". 

The only downsides are that:

1) You have to pay for each new platform, including other devices on the same platform. i.e. my girlfriend has to pay $5 to use it on her phone, too, also the roku will be $5.

2) Subtitles on the Roku 3 are a bit annoying, they won't work unless you specifically fetch the .srt file and use "burn in" which forces the Plex server to transcode the movie while literally attaching the subtitles into the picture itself. For whatever reason, soft subtitles won't work. It's not a major bug, but it's an annoyance to be sure, because I can't just turn on subs and turn them off again. It can also be a pain to find purely "forced" subs, where the only captioned portions are in languages other than english, which is the only portion that I really need.

3) Getting it to work for devices outside the local network is a pain in the ass. 

KsqHutE.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0