What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solaris

Is Automated Technology Inhibiting Human Independence?

13 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

Automation in many ways is very necessary, which I don't think anyone will disagree with, but that's true we're losing freedoms as a result. However, for now, and definitely in the foreseeable future, there's always an option to forgo the automated processes and handle things the old fashioned way. It will eventually be recreational to do so.

I don't really have a problem with it, for now.

Darel Elite, Sceny and Kavawuvi like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

i think we're a long way off from Wall-e levels of dependence and stupidity and even then people will catch themselves and realize what's going on

but maybe i have too much faith in humanity

Kavawuvi likes this

I think that technology taking a more active role in our society can be both beneficial and bad.
I'm one that loves the advance of technology that takes us into something that we couldn't have imagined before.
For example, fully automated robots, spaceships, virtual hand interaction, and advanced healing.

It has its drawbacks too, for example without electricity the machines will not work and will be stuck, and if nobody knows how to use them or repair them when they are broken we will be lost.
That's why I like to understand whichever technologies I use (cars, microwave oven, laundry machines, dryer, and my favorite, the PC).
It's a passion of mine.
Or if technology replaces too much, we will have no more jobs, as robotic machines just need a power supply and don't need health insurance, minimum wage, food, and can work 24\7.

Automation is good and nowadays necessary, as long we don't exaggerate and understand it enough to control it.
We are close to making AI's, and we must be very careful, because they might be friendly, but they're unpredictable.
If it was for me, I'd use technology for the good of humanity, but many of the corporations and lobbies in power will just use it for profits and wars.
For example, we have lots of renewable energy sources, but those in power still use petrol because they make a lot of money from it.
But when the planet is devastated by the effects of Global Warming, then these "gentlemen" will think of how they destroyed a beautiful planet, or maybe not because when that happens they will all be dead.
Same for the guns\war business, if anybody on Earth didn't kill each other in pointless wars, they would be without money, Zero, Finiti, but hey let's cause a war for our business!

Is computer and automation technology inhibiting human independence? Are we creating machines that are extensions of humans or are we slowly becoming an extension of the machines?

Independence from what, exactly? And why is independence desirable?

From machines -- We've used tools since forever. I don't think it's a problem to depend on a tractor per se... the real problem is a dependence on finite, non-renewable energy sources. (I'm sure Weps has some things to say about this.) Becoming independent of non-renewable energy is very desirable.

From computers -- I don't think the fear here is about dependence on the actual computer hardware, but the increasingly complex programs we run on them. High-frequency-trading is one example of a complex job humans are flatly incapable of. No human can respond to stock price changes in just a few milliseconds. However I don't think dependence on HFT programs is a large threat. I don't see a huge advantage to becoming independent of them.

I feel like the undercurrent here is a question of "who is in charge?" It certainly feels safe to be the one giving orders. How scary would it be for humans to be ruled by their creations? A lot of dystopic science fiction delves into those sorts of scenarios.

I recommend reading about the "Intelligence Explosion" aka "Technological Singularity" aka "Superintelligent AI"

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html

swamp likes this

Does automation inhibit human independence? Yes, in many cases it does. I have no worries of a Singularity Event ever occurring, however...

How many hear have ever heard of a coping saw? How many hear have seen a coping saw. How many here have utilized a coping saw? 

This is a coping saw;

35-670-zona-coping-saw-5_zpsqyqafsao.jpg

This is the modern equivalent, the scroll saw; 

HT_BG_TH_SS_Body_Img-ScrollSaw_zpszwwlnp

Without any instruction or assistance you can learn the use a scroll saw in about an hour. Given a day to critique, you can put out some seriously detailed work with minimal cosmetic correction needed. 

A coping saw? The operation is simple enough, but you'd detailed instruction (or lots of time) and plenty of wood to just learn how to properly use it, then with plenty of practice you could critique yourself to put out barely acceptable pieces.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the terms "Apprentice/Novice, Journeyman/Experienced, Master/Expert". That is how we use to (and in some trades still) learn how to operate, utilize, or preform operations and tasks. 

How many that can't survive with FB for a few hours, will have the fortitude and willingness to learn to use a tool like a coping saw? Who will be around to teach its use? Who still manufactures the blades and replacement parts? Make you own parts...who will teach you how and what tools to use and how to use those tools? 

CNC is nice, but ever used an analog jig borer or analog milling machine?

How many here have any experience changing the oil in their car using hand tools? At one time vehicles were made to be completely disassembled with a single(or handful of) tool type(s) in a short period of time...

Now granted its eight men, but the tear down process is the same regardless of how many people assist; (M38A1/CJ-5 Jeep)

In this day and age, current production vehicles can not be worked on at home. They require various systems to troubleshoot and diagnose an issue. 

Automation makes life easier, not necessarily better. We gain certain freedoms with automation, but lose others at the same time. 

As far as fuels, I don't think we'll ever be free of them. We can replace fossil fuels with various other types, but the story is the same. Someone will control the technology, someone will control the manufacture, and someone will regulate its use. 

Look into trying to institute alternative energy on private properties;

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-07-10/off-the-grid-in-florida-robin-speronis-fights-municipal-code

If it's not limited supply, it's regulation and profit margins. 

Some of the questions I want to ask is how humans will develop socially as they are replaced by machines. For example, humans are very social creatures, but on the internet, you do not have the same emotional/psychological connection to people in comparison to face to face interactions.

How does this shape the way we think, behave and socialize as the world is becoming a lot more distant from traditional social environments?

Politics and personal beliefs change, as Twitter and social networks have shown time and time again (for better or worse). Thoughts, feelings and concepts of thought, are now more readily available and can be revised in comparison to traditional social environments where what is said is said and the impression is given from that verbal communication. Identities can be attached to names of personal relevance or a lack of a name, rather than traditional naming conventions set by the exterior social world.

These are things that concern me the most. This can be a blessing in disguise, but also a danger if humans are too disconnected from each other. In a way, I believe it can be harmful. A lot more than the ineptitude of society to function at a basic level that requires labor. Humans invented the wheel, used rocks as tools and put fire to use (not to mention, without instructions or documentation). I don't personally believe that the use of tools wouldn't be heavily documented. The only thing that humans would lack is the aptitude to use those tools effectively.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

No doubt regarding what humanity has discovered or invented in those instances. However, those discoveries and inventions where born from necessity, curiosity, experience, and critical thinking.

For example, in the military, trainees are subjected to field problems which must be accomplished via expedient methods. Critical thinking is the skill utilized to solve a field problem. 

With advancement in automation, segments of society will lose their ability to apply critical thinking, simply because it's not required. They simply call the next cog in the machine to preform his/her job. 

We can see this in corporate business structures. Brokers/analysts/ect... can utilize a PC, because they've been taught how to.  However, if that PC was to become disable in technical way, they're at a loss and call the IT Department. As with in the past, operators of various systems were the technical support and were required to troubleshoot and diagnose an issue.

For example, how many forum members can we drop into the middle of the American Mid-Western temperate zone that would survive or even flourish with little to no physical tools? Or how many forum members can we have troubleshoot an engine? Navigate using a map or compass? Find potable water? Bake bread? Garden? Set a broken bone? Operate a stick shift? Sew? 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0