Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

War Thunder

14 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

After playing it for a bit and reading the steam reviews claiming Russian bias, I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I tried it out for myself, first few matches went okay with reserve planes (except germany falls apart if the wind blows in the wrong direction) and got into Tier 2 on both the US, German and USSR. I don't think the USSR is given the upper hand all the time but I do think a few things in the game are a little over-exaggerated. I've read some forum posts were users were arguing with the moderators on the forum about the inaccuracy and over-exaggeration of the survivability and weaponry of USSR planes and users get banned left and right, even when exposing the moderators to evidence that they were not as great as they are designed in the game. After trying it myself, I've rammed bombers with reserve planes and took little damage from it. That's a little ridiculous.

On the US, the P40-E is absolute shit. I don't even know why it's in a higher tier than it's performance class. It turns like shit, it's paper thin and chokes out. Overall, most of the US planes are fairly okay, if you know how to outsmart other pilots, but other factions definitely have an advantage in turning ability and you can't shake someone off no matter how hard you try. Don't even get me started on Germany's planes. You are literally flying cardboard boxes. Anyone other than Germany can knock your ass right out of the sky not even trying, hardly even putting down fire on you either. I was flying the first tier bomber and a reserve plane shot my pilot with only one spray of bullets, from behind. What the fuck is this?

I haven't tried any of the Japanese or British aircraft yet, but from what I've played against, the first tier British aircraft are a little OP. Ridiculous turning and a hail of bullets for a few seconds knocks anyone out and it doesn't matter what faction you play, it's an automatic lose.

xvii likes this

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer

After playing it for a bit and reading the steam reviews claiming Russian bias, I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I tried it out for myself, first few matches went okay with reserve planes (except germany falls apart if the wind blows in the wrong direction) and got into Tier 2 on both the US, German and USSR. I don't think the USSR is given the upper hand all the time but I do think a few things in the game are a little over-exaggerated. I've read some forum posts were users were arguing with the moderators on the forum about the inaccuracy and over-exaggeration of the survivability and weaponry of USSR planes and users get banned left and right, even when exposing the moderators to evidence that they were not as great as they are designed in the game. After trying it myself, I've rammed bombers with reserve planes and took little damage from it. That's a little ridiculous.

On the US, the P40-E is absolute shit. I don't even know why it's in a higher tier than it's performance class. It turns like shit, it's paper thin and chokes out. Overall, most of the US planes are fairly okay, if you know how to outsmart other pilots, but other factions definitely have an advantage in turning ability and you can't shake someone off no matter how hard you try. Don't even get me started on Germany's planes. You are literally flying cardboard boxes. Anyone other than Germany can knock your ass right out of the sky not even trying, hardly even putting down fire on you either. I was flying the first tier bomber and a reserve plane shot my pilot with only one spray of bullets, from behind. What the fuck is this?

I haven't tried any of the Japanese or British aircraft yet, but from what I've played against, the first tier British aircraft are a little OP. Ridiculous turning and a hail of bullets for a few seconds knocks anyone out and it doesn't matter what faction you play, it's an automatic lose.

Planes aren't the worst. It's the Tanks that take the most bashing. It's all fun and games until your King Tiger 105mm faces a Soviet T10M with HEAT-FS that has 400 penetration power. Tier 5 vehicles are a pain.

Planes aren't the worst. It's the Tanks that take the most bashing. It's all fun and games until your King Tiger 105mm faces a Soviet T10M with HEAT-FS that has 400 penetration power. Tier 5 vehicles are a pain.

Agreed. Ground forces is awful balance-wise, but it never used to be so bad, so hopefully there's hope eventually. I've not encountered unbalance in air combat, though, unless you get up to tier 5 where the US currently dominates.

Badga666 and xvii like this

Not to mention they buffed the AA in the last update. It's nearly impossible to do anything in a bomber now. If you don't have 50 AA's all trained on you, you'll have 50 AA's + 3 fucking Yak-1's on your ass who hardly take any damage from the turrets.

Edited by iTails

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer

On the US, the P40-E is absolute shit. I don't even know why it's in a higher tier than it's performance class. It turns like shit, it's paper thin and chokes out. Overall, most of the US planes are fairly okay, if you know how to outsmart other pilots, but other factions definitely have an advantage in turning ability and you can't shake someone off no matter how hard you try.

I'd have to disagree. At its battle rating, it's fast enough to catch up to most planes, and it performs well in low and medium altitude turn fights. I've also found that the six .50 cal machine guns you get on it are great against medium bombers at that tier if you can successfully avoid their gunners. It will have trouble performing at high altitudes, but most fighters at such a low battle rating don't perform well at high altitudes, either. Personally, I think it's a good alternative to the P-39 Airacobra if you haven't unlocked one yet or you're playing at low battle ratings. I've gotten lots of Fighter Hunter medals with the P-40 alone.

Also, most of the late-tier American planes are some of the best in the game. The F8F-1B is one of the only prop planes that I use at the highest battle rating, because its excellent firepower, acceleration, and maneuverability make it very good against even the highest-tiered jets that are attempting to attack you. The F86F-2 Sabre's cannons tear through every air vehicle with its huge one-second burst mass. Most of the other jets also perform well (especially the naval fighter jets), though the P-80's M2 .50 cals leave a lot to be desired at this tier.

Agreed. Ground forces is awful balance-wise, but it never used to be so bad, so hopefully there's hope eventually. I've not encountered unbalance in air combat, though, unless you get up to tier 5 where the US currently dominates.

They wouldn't dare touch their planes. Planes are fun and balanced for the most part. But hot damn is it annoying see a Tier 3 PT-76 with 200 HEAT-FS. Yeah, the armor is complete crap. But who uses light cars for armor?

They wouldn't dare touch their planes. Planes are fun and balanced for the most part. But hot damn is it annoying see a Tier 3 PT-76 with 200 HEAT-FS. Yeah, the armor is complete crap. But who uses light cars for armor?

200 HEAT-FS, that's ridiculously excessive, the most the PT-76 carried was 50 rounds for it's 76.2mm. 

Anything based on the BMP or PT-76 chassis has shit armor, the BMP-1 has 8mm of armor and the hatches to the infantry compartment are fuel storage. 

Also, they complete skipped the M48, which is crap. 

xvii likes this

200 HEAT-FS, that's ridiculously excessive, the most the PT-76 carried was 50 rounds for it's 76.2mm. 

Anything based on the BMP or PT-76 chassis has shit armor, the BMP-1 has 8mm of armor and the hatches to the infantry compartment are fuel storage. 

Also, they complete skipped the M48, which is crap. 

Sorry, 200 penetration power.

Sorry, 200 penetration power.

Oh, well that's not so far-fetched. The BK-350M HEAT for the PT-76's D-56T 76mm gun can punch through 280mm of armor at 1000m, but that is against standard density RHA, not composites or heavy armor. With HEAT rounds, you're looking at the EFP of the warhead, not KE imparted on the round by the gun/propellant.