Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

WaeV

Cool Software

102 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Virtualbox - Free Virtualization tool, with an available open-source version.

I am constantly amazed by Virtualbox's UI. It's dead easy to use, and easy to wrap your head around.

Ouayl.gif

You have to use a wizard tool to make a new VM, but it's pretty straightforward and explains the options. Asking which OS will be virtualized is a nice touch - all the user needs to know is which OS is being installed and VBox can provide sensible defaults.

pUsAQ.gif

Each VM runs in its own window. Although it's perfectly possible to use them this way, once you have installed the Virtualbox Guest Additions you can also fullscreen individual VMs, or enter "seamless mode", where the VM's taskbar appears along with the host OS's taskbar.

MKeEo.jpg

You can run multiple VMs in seamless mode at the same time, but their taskbars will overlap, so that can be a mite annoying.

All in all, a solid piece of software. Free, fun, powerful, and easy!

Edited by WaeV
Tucker933, Chronocide and Ruu like this

~Hardinfo~

Linux!!!

System Profiler and Benchmark

HardInfo can gather information about your system's hardware and operating system, perform benchmarks, and generate printable reports either in HTML or in plain text formats.

It can also be easily extended, for developer documentation and full source code.

Start up UI

33c5bhg.png

Options to have tested

raq5hz.png

Can even read thermal sensors

9tpu7d.jpg

Edited by Dante
Tucker933 and WaeV like this

Just bought Adobe Audition CS6 yesterday. I'm super excited. I finally can record professional vocal audio now. It has SO many features.

facesig.png

I'm not a huge software guy but I've tried some here and there. I like WPE PRO, its a little hard to get down, but afterwards it's good!

I also like Krystal Multitrack Audio, I like the effects and also MixPad. Those are my favorite ones.

Edited by Kalaborative

Just bought Adobe Audition CS6 yesterday. I'm super excited. I finally can record professional vocal audio now. It has SO many features.

How much that set you back? i got the master suite threw school for really cheap. $300

PfXuCLa.png

Not software persay, but an awesome free file/image host. Guests get 1GB file cap and 30 day limit. Registered members get 10-50GB limit and no time limit on files.

http://min.us

Edited by Wolf in command

GParted Partition Editor

2dudp8g.jpg

4vo30j.png

GParted is a GTK+ front-end to GNU Parted and the official GNOME Partition Editor application.

It is used for creating, deleting, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and the file systems on them. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems (works with Vista / Windows 7 System & Data partitions), reorganizing disk usage, copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another (disk imaging).

Features

GParted enables you to easily manage your disk partitions:

• Create partition tables, (e.g., msdos or gpt)
  • Create, move, copy, resize, check, label, set new UUID, and delete partitions
  • Enable and disable partition flags, (e.g., boot or hidden)
  • Align partitions to mebibyte (MiB) or traditional cylinder boundaries
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

GParted works with the following storage devices:

• Hard disk drives (e.g., SATA, IDE, and SCSI)
  • Flash memory devices, such as USB memory sticks and Solid State Drives (SSD's)
  • RAID Devices (hardware RAID, motherboard BIOS RAID, and Linux software RAID)
  • All sector sizes (e.g., devices with 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 byte sectors and more

WaeV and Chronocide like this

Google Chrome is pretty much the new standard for internet browsing. One day, even Microsoft will decide it should abandon IE for Chrome.

What else is cool? YIM used to be cool from 2008-2010. But those days are gone. Even the new WLM isn't as great as before (i've always used ebuddy anyways).

No one wants to talk about forum software? I used to like Proboards, but now the service sucks, and it's latest release that's coming up is going to be a disaster. Admins can longer see the e-mails of their members. :/ All the good software is gone...