Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

WaeV

Cool Software

102 posts in this topic

Here is some linux software I've found useful.

MTR (My Trace Route)

Function: Primarily used to find ports you're connected to to find out where the most latency is occurring. For example, if I ping Google.com, it will show every server I pass through and it will display the latency from server to server. Mostly used for IT, but you could also use it to make a complaint to your ISP or apartment manager (if your rent is based on utilities and internet/TV). I personally use it to submit complaints to Sprint about their packet loss. (Sadly, none of them no what the hell I'm talking about)

For Ubuntu/Debian:

sudo apt-get install mtr

then run:

mtr [iP or URL here]

It should look something like this:

mtr.png

NMAP (Tracking who is connected)

Function: Scanning your server (local machine) for open ports. Works best if you're into security. Another function is finding that pesky neighbor who is always clogging up your internet as well.

For Ubuntu/Debian:

sudo apt-get install nmap

Then run:

sudo nmap [iP here]

It should look like this:

nmap01.png

VNStat

Function: Track daily network usage. Used to find who is using the most bandwidth and keeping track of data per day (for the enterprise world).

For Ubuntu/Debian:

sudo apt-get install vnstat

Now you need to set up a database:

vnstat -u -i eth0

-u :forces a database update for interface or creates the database if it doesn’t exist

-i eth0 : use to specify interface

Now you can view network statistics; run:

vnstat

day-vnstat-704651.png

To display monthly statistics:

vmstat -m

To display Top 10 Traffic Days:

vmstat -t

vnstat-top10-706093.png

If you need help with any of the commands, run:

vnstat --help

VMStat (Resource Usage Monitor

Function: This allows you to monitor resource usage through terminal if there is no real UI resource monitor available. Handy for finding bottlenecks or programs using too many resources.

For Ubuntu/Debian:

sudo apt-get install vmstat

Then run:

vmstat 3

top-output.png

Display Memory Utilization:

vmstat -m

Get Information About Active / Inactive Memory Pages:

vmstat -a

That's all I can really think of for now, but these are handy while running a server or having internet issues.

WaeV and Takka933 like this

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

-No possible shortcuts for moving up/down between rows and bringing a window with you **deal-breaker**

]

You can, at least it worked for me.

In the hotkeys settings, there was a section called "move window and switch" but it only had left and right options (since by default all workspaces are in just one row).

To get multiple rows, you had to use the grid plugin. Under the grid plugin's hotkeys section, there were bindings for sending windows left/right/up/down, but you didn't switch desktops along with the window. There were two hotkeys which did let you move a window and switch to follow it, but they were only "next" and "previous", not the four directions.

So to be extra clear, my setup was like this:

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

The hotkeys under the grid plugin section let me send a window "down" from 2 to 5, but the displayed desktop was still 2. The hotkey that moved the window AND your view only had "previous" and "next", so you would have to go from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5.

Edited by WaeV

In the hotkeys settings, there was a section called "move window and switch" but it only had left and right options (since by default all workspaces are in just one row).

To get multiple rows, you had to use the grid plugin. Under the grid plugin's hotkeys section, there were bindings for sending windows left/right/up/down, but you didn't switch desktops along with the window. There were two hotkeys which did let you move a window and switch to follow it, but they were only "next" and "previous", not the four directions.

So to be extra clear, my setup was like this:

[1][2][3]
[4][5][6]

The hotkeys under the grid plugin section let me send a window "down" from 2 to 5, but the displayed desktop was still 2. The hotkey that moved the window AND your view only had "previous" and "next", so you would have to go from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5.

Oh yeah, that's a bit annoying. I thought you meant from workspace to workspace.

Desk Pins

Windows

Allows you to keep items always on top, a la the "always on top" option for windows in gnome. Goes in the tray, and when you click it, it allows you to pin a window to the front.

For some reason the dev's site is gone now, but the application is still out there. Mirror below.

http://wolfcrafting.com/uploads/deskpins_130_setup.exe

Java and Floofies like this

Desk Pins

Windows

Allows you to keep items always on top, a la the "always on top" option for windows in gnome. Goes in the tray, and when you click it, it allows you to pin a window to the front.

For some reason the dev's site is gone now, but the application is still out there. Mirror below.

http://wolfcrafting....s_130_setup.exe

When I download it, Chrome marks it as malicious.
Floofies likes this

Well heres one i swear by, Rocket dock

Its a dock application as the name suggests it is very customizable and along with a stacking applet i barely use the windows start menu anymore.

Screenshots:

RD1.png

RD2.png

RD3.png

PfXuCLa.png

Yeah, I did manage to get that working.

Darn. I kinda hoped you had figured out a way to do this, lol.

I believe if you set it up for desktop grid it will be set up like Ubuntu's workspaces.