What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
WaeV

Cool Software

104 posts in this topic

I want to see what sort of cool software you guys have found useful. Try to include screenshots!

I'll start.

VirtuaWin

Linux has workspaces. OSX has Spaces. Why not Windows? That's what VirtuaWin aims to provide! Free as in Freedom (GNU-licensed), and it actually works well for something I would wholly expect to be hacked-together. It doesn't provide nice swooshy animations, but it does let you have up to 20 virtual desktops.

The configuration wasn't extremely straightforward, but I figured it out well enough. My laptop has been running 3x2 desktops for a couple weeks now, no problems whatsoever.

5ITEU.png

Unlike Linux (not sure about Spaces), you won't get a little preview of what's on each workspace, but I find it serves me well enough.

IXh3c.jpg

I prefer the digit-indicator.

It supports Win9x/ME/NT/Win2K/XP/Win2003/Vista/Win7, 64-bit as well as 32-bit versions, and can even be run portably.

Pick up a copy here:

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Edited by WaeV
Takka and Chronocide like this

Tiddy-bits:

I used to have a program like that but it got annoying trying to remember what was on each screen XD

Good thread, I don't have much to offer though =p

HWMonitor

HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.

The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

hwm.jpg

Download

WaeV, Vuthakral, Chronocide and 1 other like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Though this is only a trial, it would definitely be worth buying.

It's called Dexpot. It's workspaces for Windows and you can set it up to act like Linux or OS X. Great if you're multitasking and hate ALT-TAB or using the taskbar to switch applications.

http://dexpot.de/intro_en.html

(I don't know why Windows doesn't have a workspace function anyway)

WaeV and Ruu like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Though this is only a trial, it would definitely be worth buying.

It's called Dexpot. It's workspaces for Windows and you can set it up to act like Linux or OS X. Great if you're multitasking and hate ALT-TAB or using the taskbar to switch applications.

http://dexpot.de/intro_en.html

(I don't know why Windows doesn't have a workspace function anyway)

Oh wow, that looks much better than my OP.

Edited by WaeV

Everything: Its a search engine, not for the internet but your computer. Now, you might ask, "Why do I want a search engine for my computer, doesn't windows have its own search?" well, windows search sucks compared to this. Everything searches filenames specifically, and it does it damn fast. For example, I have three hard drives in my desktop, two 2TB's and one 1TB, all told around 1.8million files or so (give or take, depends on whether or not I have flushed my temporay files recently *_*) Everything searches the whole damn thing pretty much as fast as I can type. It also does the same on my rinky dink lil netbook, just as fast (though not as many files =p)

I highly recommend it, and install it on every single computer I own. Everyone I have persuaded to use it loves it, go get it!

Oh, and if you google the word "Everything" the first hit is from voidtools.com, which is this search engine.

The install file is also 334KB for you dialup users ;P

sssmall.jpg

If you google it...

Website Link

Direct link to installer...

WaeV and Takka like this

TeraCopy - Windows copy dialog, enhanced

More accurate copy time predictions

Increased speed over USB / network drive transfers

Mutliple copyings at the same time do not trip each other up

Options to check files after copy, shutdown after copy is finished, etc.

UniBrain_FW800_TeraCopy_Read.png

teracopy-17.jpg

Increase.Copy_.Speed_.TeraCopy.Preferences.png

I use TeraCopy 99% of the time, but I do have it setup so the default copy dialog is used when scroll lock is on. This is because sometimes TeraCopy doesn't work properly when moving around protected system files.

tl;dr

Standard copy dialog: reliable, slow

TeraCopy: mostly reliable, power-user oriented, faster + better

Edited by WaeV
Chronocide and Takka like this

Argh, Dexpot is giving me trouble. I might have to switch back to VirtuaWin. Dexpot has a lot more features, but it feels kinda... WindowBlindsy. It looks "cool" and offers a lot of options, but tries to hide the underlying stuff. VirtuaWin is less polished, but is easier to completely control.

VirtuaWin

Pros:

-Exposes how it works, and gives options for controlling certain types of window classes in particular ways

-Freeware, GPL'd

Cons:

-No cube

-No animations

-Upon transitioning to another desktop, windows do the Aero close animation instead of simply disappearing

Dexpot

Pros:

-Appears to be more actively developed

-Many features

-Plugins

-The glorious cube

-Switching animations

-Other miscellaneous eyecandy

Cons:

-When the cube was enabled, the animation was smooth but seemed to take about half a second before anything switched. I prefer instantaneity.

-Have to use a plugin-thing to get multiple rows of desktops

-No possible shortcuts for moving up/down between rows and bringing a window with you
**deal-breaker**

-Many independent configuration windows; unclear which control what
Edited by WaeV
Takka likes this